PDA

View Full Version : Tools for barrel removal

Wes_VB
05-08-2010, 09:13 AM
OK, I tried the search and got about a million irrelevant hits.
Specifically what does one need to remove a 12 SA series barrel?
Barrel nut tool, brand?
Receiver vise or barrel vise? Brand?
Headspace gauges I have

Thanks

possum1
05-08-2010, 09:24 AM
You'll get several different reply's on this subject. What worked for me and the only tool's I've tried, purchased a nut wrench from Jim at NSS, Wheeler action wrench from Midway.http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=710783

Danley
05-08-2010, 09:27 AM
I have a Wheeler action wrench & Sharp Shooter Supply barrel nut wrench. Works like a champ. I`ve used barrel vices before but the action wrench seems to work better ... for me anyway.

drybean
05-08-2010, 09:47 AM
wheeler action wrench an barrel nut wrench from nss
midway had the tools on sale

drybean

Armed in Utah
05-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Kroil & a hairdryer for stubborn blue nuts and actions

along with other necessary tools............

nut wrench....action wrench....vise....flex bar

Smokey262
05-08-2010, 10:30 AM
A BFH is sometimes useful

rjtfroggy
05-08-2010, 12:59 PM
I use the wrenches mentioned above and padded jaws on my vise to hold it all steady. You can get the vise pads and nut wrench from NSS and the action wrench from midway.

Wes_VB
05-08-2010, 04:33 PM
So if you buy the action wrench you now need a barrel vise?
Never pulled on of these things apart. Doesn't the barrel nut tighten to the action and if so wouldn't an action block for a vise be the best set? Similar to re-barreling an AR?

possum1
05-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Action wrench and barrel wrench, that's all you need.

drybean
05-08-2010, 07:38 PM
it is easier to hold the action than the barrel
drybean

stumpjumper400
05-08-2010, 09:33 PM
I use a barrel vise and midway's nut wrench. tried to take of a blued 30-06 barrel last week. I got it off but almost destroyed the wheeler nut wrench. The wheeler wrench is too soft. Get the barrel nut wrench from SSS or NSS. Regardless if you use an action wrench or barrel vise, you will have to have the nut wrench.

L.H. Clark
05-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Well, I screwed the pooch and bought the Wheeler nut wrench. Saw a million people talking about the SSS wrench but couldn't see the difference. Never thought of old Rockwell for some reason?! Why would they make it too soft? MADNESS......... >:( ??? Now I gotta get the good one. Hey, I read the stupid reviews on the thing! BTW, has anybody noticed that some of the reviews on Midway seem to be written by, perhaps, company reps? or perhaps even salesmen or P.R. reps for the company? I swear, they couldn''t be written or worded better by a political genuis! >: ;D ;)

Blue Avenger
05-09-2010, 02:31 PM
don,t get is such a hurry to buy a new one. there not that soft for occasional work. The SSS is a better wrench built by a guy that used his many times a day and need a better quality wrench.

dcloco
05-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Well, I screwed the pooch and bought the Wheeler nut wrench. Saw a million people talking about the SSS wrench but couldn't see the difference. Never thought of old Rockwell for some reason?! Why would they make it too soft? MADNESS......... >:( ??? Now I gotta get the good one. Hey, I read the stupid reviews on the thing! BTW, has anybody noticed that some of the reviews on Midway seem to be written by, perhaps, company reps? or perhaps even salesmen or P.R. reps for the company? I swear, they couldn''t be written or worded better by a political genuis! >: ;D ;)

McRee Precision is the brand that is my Savage/Stevens toolbox. Northlander stocks them.

Wes_VB
05-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Thanks folks. I've got a handle on how it all works now.

jlcpls
05-11-2010, 10:50 AM
A BFH is sometimes useful

I have a BFH, a nut wrench, and Uncanny American Savvy, the latter of which also accounts for being able to lick African toads without any mental impairment...

Dano5001
05-11-2010, 05:55 PM
I took my first barrel off today, Stevens blued, super tight and looked like it had loctite on it. I used a combination of barrel vise, Wheeler nut wrench, and a Davidson's action wrench. I thought the Davidson wrench was neat because it goes on place of the bolt, so no maring the action.

BTW the action wrench was for a remington 700, fit the stevens perfect.