PDA

View Full Version : matte finish / sand blasting media?

foxx
02-19-2015, 11:50 PM
Does anyone know what sand blasting media would work to make a gloss/smooth finish barrel look/feel more like the matte, bead-blasted texture of the hunter series rifles?

Hotolds442
02-20-2015, 12:04 AM
Glass beads would be your best bet Norm. Sand would probably be my second choice.

foxx
02-20-2015, 12:27 AM
Thank you, Dan. I've been tempted to try sand, but was afraid of the health hazard. I am using a cabinet and good vacuum with water filter, tough.

Hotolds442
02-20-2015, 12:37 AM
You should be fine then, wear a cheap dust mask.

limige
02-20-2015, 08:09 PM
sand is fine in a cabinet.

aubie515
02-21-2015, 11:44 AM
Most use aluminum oxide to blast SS if you plan on refinishing because it will give you a slight rough texture for something like Cerakote/KG Gunkote aka Norrell's to adhere to in the process. Glass beads are not recommended for the same application as it does not scuff the metal surface.

I also wouldn't recommend sand as sand you buy from big box stores have dirt and other contaminates in the sand and sand tends to be wet, which wouldn't be good for any metal surface.

When I blast, I'm refinishing my firearms, so aluminum oxide for me.

foxx
02-21-2015, 01:23 PM
Yeah, Aubie, I am using 120 grit Aluminum oxide, as directed by KG GUnkote, but I want a more aggressive matte / dimpled finish. I was thinking first do something to make it rough like that then go over with the 120 aluminum oxide.

Will that work?

D.ID
02-21-2015, 01:46 PM
I can't remember what grit I use to use but it was aluminum and very aggressive and produced a beautiful rough texture matte finish all by itself.
In my pursuit of laziness....now days, I actually just rough by hand with a quick pass of 100 grit paper and duracoat in flat colors.

foxx
02-21-2015, 05:14 PM
maybe I'll just try 80 grit aluminum oxide.

limige
03-10-2015, 06:18 PM
What did you end up trying?

foxx
03-10-2015, 07:49 PM
So far I've only used 120 Aluminum oxide at 90PSI. It gives a slightly rough texture. Barely matte.

I bought some 70 grit AO today but was afraid to use it on my friend's gun because it's not mine, was afraid to experiment with it and his and his 2 son's guns are the only thing I have going right at the moment.

I also bought some black diamond medium and fine. It was only $9 for 50 lbs each. Will give that a shot too, when I have something to play with. Maybe next week. Will post when I do.

I'll say this, for applying Gun Kote or Duracoat, Harbor Freight has some VERY inexpensive disposable air brushes that work GREAT. Last summer I was messing around trying to use a good Badger air brush I had as a kid and I spent almost $100 on parts b/c they kept clogging and causing all kinds of grief. Then someone one here suggested these cheap Central Pneumatic airbrushes and I was elated. Could not believe how simple and effective they were. I run acetone thru it when done, but don't really worry about cleaning it b/c I bought 3 kits for about $10 each and they come with 5-6 little plastic jars. Heck, they aren't worth cleaning. If it clogs, throw the dang thing away and move on!

limige
03-10-2015, 08:51 PM
thanks, I haven't gone down that road yet but I reckon i'm heading there, lol

troutdodger
03-11-2015, 11:09 AM
Hey Foxx, Don't worry about the 70 grit. If it's too rough, go back over it with something less aggressive. Turn the pressure down and test it until you get the texture you're looking for.

stomp442
03-11-2015, 11:53 AM
Let me know how the black diamond stuff works. I just bought a bag of that myself just to try on my next project when it comes around.