PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 14 Floor plate not fully closing

btmrjames
02-19-2015, 10:39 PM
I have a savage model 14, in 300WSM. The floor plate is not fully closing, empty or full. Is this normal, and can I fix it if it is out of the ordinary.

Robinhood
02-19-2015, 11:01 PM
Has the follower spring been damaged or pulled out of its slot.

btmrjames
02-20-2015, 09:24 AM
I'm really not sure, I don't know what it's supposed to look like. It's been this way since I bought the gun.

Robinhood
02-20-2015, 09:34 AM
I was thinking this was a hinged floor plate model. Or is it a Detachable magazine? I was hoping you would open the bottom and look at it. Without forcing it look closely and try and close or install it. Look closely for binding or a physical reason for it to not function. You might want to get someone mechanically inclined to look at it.
Where in Texas?

btmrjames
02-20-2015, 11:40 AM
There is nothing in the way. The hinge doesnt bind up, and everything loiks like it is where its supposed to be. I took it apart yesterday, and it will close all the way if u push it, it just won't stay closed, like the spring is pushing the part closest to the but of the gun back down. It stays closed it just doesn't sit flush. And as far as someone mechanically inclined...I am a mechanic.

btmrjames
02-20-2015, 11:40 AM
I'm in the Panhandle

btmrjames
02-20-2015, 11:42 AM
And the spring has not been pulled from its slot. I looked at pictures of other springs, and nothing looks messed up about the one I have.

BillPa
02-20-2015, 12:24 PM
I have a savage model 14, in 300WSM. The floor plate is not fully closing, empty or full. Is this normal, and can I fix it if it is out of the ordinary.

Chances are the stock inlet for the assembly is a tad too deep. The bolthead may rub across the top of the mag. I had the same problem(s) with one of the three 14s I bought for my grandsons.

You can set it out with a washer between the assembly and stock or as I did, shim and bed it.

Bill

clintsrv
02-20-2015, 01:05 PM
If it's Hinged Floor Plate check the release. There is a very small set screw that adjusts the latch. When out of adjustment the latch doesn't engage fully.

I've had to make adjustments before.

btmrjames
02-20-2015, 02:45 PM
Thank ya'll, I'll try both of those when I get home

Robinhood
02-20-2015, 02:59 PM
I am a mechanic.
Well? LOL
Does it work/lock when the assembly is pulled out of the stock? I just looked at one and remembered if you use a screw with a higher profile head than factory in the front, it would stand proud causing an obstruction. I can pull mine off and take pictures if we need to look closer..

btmrjames
02-20-2015, 06:35 PM
It was the release, I adjusted it, and it shut. Sorry to bother yall for something so small. Thanks for all the help.

clintsrv
02-20-2015, 06:48 PM
I can tell you for sure you didn't bother anyone at all!
This is the best forum on the web.

Robinhood
02-20-2015, 08:08 PM
Heck I have two hinged floor plate models and I didn't know about the adjustment. Learn something on a regular basis on this forum.