PDA

View Full Version : new stock came in...bittersweet

Pages : [1] 2

Bigeclipse
02-19-2015, 06:17 PM
All...my wife's Boyds gun stock came in and I must say I'm not sure how to feel. On one hand, the stock seems very well built and the length of pull is perfect for her. On the other...I'm disappointed by the dye job. We ordered it in sky blue. There seems to be some very small spots that should be blue but just seem plain wood color. They are small and hardly noticeable you look close but they are there. I'm curious if anyone else had the same result. I will try and get pictures loaded. I mean...what can you expect for a 150 dollar stock...P.S. due to the custom length of pull and laser engraving it cannot be returned.

J.Baker
02-19-2015, 06:25 PM
It's not a defect in the product or poor QC, just a known risk you take with laminate wood. Wood grain is unpredictable in how well it will absorb the dye. Sometimes it absorbs great and you get deep, dark color, other times it doesn't absorb well and you get a much lighter/fainter color, and sometimes it's a mix of both as each layer of the laminate will vary accordingly. It's no different than not knowing how or what kind of figuring a walnut or maple blank will show once it's been shaped into a stock, or if it will have cavities or other bad spots in it once you start whittling away at it.

Bigeclipse
02-19-2015, 06:28 PM
It's not a defect in the product or poor QC, just a known risk you take with laminate wood. Wood grain is unpredictable in how well it will absorb the dye. Sometimes it absorbs great and you get deep, dark color, other times it doesn't absorb well and you get a much lighter/fainter color, and sometimes it's a mix of both as each layer of the laminate will vary accordingly. It's no different than not knowing how or what kind of figuring a walnut or maple blank will show once it's been shaped into a stock, or if it will have cavities or other bad spots in it once you start whittling away at it.

I'm talking spots that didn't absorb at all and are literally light wood color in the middle of the blue or gray. I'll try and post up some pics

Bigeclipse
02-19-2015, 06:36 PM
I also just checked the fit and the bottom metal does not fit!!!

Bigeclipse
02-19-2015, 06:42 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9DofDOOilDQ/VOZjng3jasI/AAAAAAAAAic/HHEhnjSCwis/w304-h540-no/15%2B-%2B1
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4nofRFzmres/VOZjzOZFhxI/AAAAAAAAAi8/bMPreKQ7O1A/w304-h540-no/15%2B-%2B1
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-DlHtUsvpr24/VOZj3TNVAhI/AAAAAAAAAjk/pRU0hfx33HI/w304-h540-no/15%2B-%2B1
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-AE0wM4EemVI/VOZj6_FXLmI/AAAAAAAAAj8/OtsGRN6qHl4/w304-h540-no/15%2B-%2B1

Bigeclipse
02-19-2015, 07:20 PM
The first picture shows what looks like a large scratch but is simply un-dyed wood.

Rooster 50
02-19-2015, 07:26 PM
My gues is it is just exactly what Jim said. Sometimes the wood just doesn't absorb finish or dye. The bottom metal not fitting is another issue.

My first question has to be did you contact Boyds about this before you brought it up here?

Bigeclipse
02-19-2015, 09:39 PM
My gues is it is just exactly what Jim said. Sometimes the wood just doesn't absorb finish or dye. The bottom metal not fitting is another issue.

My first question has to be did you contact Boyds about this before you brought it up here?
FOX helped out and we determined it is the older bottom metal which is fine. As far as the non-color spots...no I have not contacted them but from what it sounds they will likely not do anything since it was a custom stock so I can't return it.

Bigeclipse
02-19-2015, 09:41 PM
Also...I have seen MANY laminates...colored and noncolored and while yes I have heard shades varying...I have never seen spots that had zero color like this stock. I was checking on here if that was a common thing with boyds stocks before I go complaining to them

Robinhood
02-20-2015, 10:56 AM
I have been known to stain wood for cabinets a few times. Product or pricing sticker adhesive gets me every time I don't lightly sand and inspect. It manifests itself as a perfect rectangular shape most of the time, At least on cabinet wood..

Bigeclipse
02-20-2015, 11:08 AM
I have been known to stain wood for cabinets a few times. Product or pricing sticker adhesive gets me every time I don't lightly sand and inspect. It manifests itself as a perfect rectangular shape most of the time, At least on cabinet wood..

That is what I suspect happened. Lighter colors are fine...and I get that issue with laminates but no color seems like a definite error. I wanted everyone's input on picture one before I call them and complain. It is hard to tell in the picture but that one spot shows zero color. It shows bare wood...like the color of a bare 2x4 at the lumber store. I wonder if they can even fix it...

sixonetonoffun
02-20-2015, 02:43 PM
Maybe a sharpie touch up?

limige
02-20-2015, 08:02 PM
Edit...I think you just expect a higher quality than what boyds generally sells.

Redandwhite_72
02-20-2015, 08:19 PM
I got a Boyds stock for Christmas. It has one or two spots that didn't dye. But you have to be looking to notice them. Its the forest camo color too so you can't really tell. Its all character I guess. Hate to see it though when it costs so much.

Bigeclipse
02-20-2015, 09:34 PM
Edit...I think you just expect a higher quality than what boyds generally sells.

I get its a Boyds and yes the stock itself is definitely nice for the cost...but had I known there would be spots not dyed...especially on a very noticeable part of the stock...I wouldn't have ordered so many custom features like laser engraving. I have a few laminates and seen many in person and I have never seen non dye spots showing up like this. Next time I would just order a standard wood grain finish.

Bigeclipse
02-20-2015, 09:49 PM
I got a Boyds stock for Christmas. It has one or two spots that didn't dye. But you have to be looking to notice them. Its the forest camo color too so you can't really tell. Its all character I guess. Hate to see it though when it costs so much.

Honestly I wouldn't really care if it was for me. I'm strictly a hunter so my rifles do get used and beat up from the amount of hunting I'm doing but this is my wife's first semi custom rifle and I was hoping it would have looked a bit better but as stated you can't get a better stock for 100 bucks (hers was technically $150 the customizations)

Redandwhite_72
02-20-2015, 10:09 PM
Honestly I wouldn't really care if it was for me. I'm strictly a hunter so my rifles do get used and beat up from the amount of hunting I'm doing but this is my wife's first semi custom rifle and I was hoping it would have looked a bit better but as stated you can't get a better stock for 100 bucks (hers was technically $150 the customizations)

I completely understand where your coming from. With the color you got, its as much about the looks as it is about the function.

FW Conch
02-21-2015, 10:31 AM
Having been a frustrated perfectionist most of my life, I know where you are coming from :-)

But no matter what color laminent stock you get, this can happen. The important part is, all the other aspects of the stock came out so well.

I agree with, and have followed the "sharpie" suggestion.

With cars the question is, is it a "driver", or will it be towed to shows in a covered trailer? :-)

I say, take your wife out shooting and enjoy that rifle.

Believe me, the search for "absolute perfection" can kill a lot of joy. For me, at this point in my life,"Form Followes Function"! :-)

"Enjoy" JMHO ... Jim

Hotolds442
02-21-2015, 11:35 AM
The Applejack Pro Varmint stock I just got from them is similar to yours. Mine has the same issue of spots that did not take dye well. I attribute them to either an excess of glue that filled minor voids in the wood, or mineral deposits/sap/pitch that cannot be dyed. That's the chance you take with laminates, and they specifically state that it's a possibility and won't warranty the stock for it.

At least yours was drop in. I had to open up the bolt handle slot an additional 3/16" to get the bolt to close. It seems their house action in left hand is a little off.

sharpshooter
02-22-2015, 01:57 PM
Boyd's has absolutely no control over what wood will will take stain like. Your problem spot is caused by mineral deposits in the grain structure. Nobody can see that on a layed up blank, or predict what "flaws" will eventually show on the finished product. Laminated stocks are like snowflakes, similiar, but not exactly the same.