PDA

View Full Version : new stock came in...bittersweet

Pages : 1 [2]

Ralfus
02-22-2015, 10:06 PM
I work at a gun store and we often have new rifles (Rugers/Savages/Marlins) with laminate stocks with the problem you have. Unfortunately it just comes with the territory. I was interested in a blue laminated stock for a stainless project a couple years ago and noticed the same issue. Grey dyed laminate seems to have the bald spots more often than other dye colors. You could try to sand the finish off the stock and re-dye the whole stock with blue RIT dye mixed with alcohol

FW Conch
02-23-2015, 06:25 PM
I don't think so! The dye didn't take when done by the pro's, probably won't when tried by us armatures. It's not a problem: a non issue! :-)

Bigeclipse
02-23-2015, 07:41 PM
I work at a gun store and we often have new rifles (Rugers/Savages/Marlins) with laminate stocks with the problem you have. Unfortunately it just comes with the territory. I was interested in a blue laminated stock for a stainless project a couple years ago and noticed the same issue. Grey dyed laminate seems to have the bald spots more often than other dye colors. You could try to sand the finish off the stock and re-dye the whole stock with blue RIT dye mixed with alcohol

I don't think so! The dye didn't take when done by the pro's, probably won't when tried by us armatures. It's not a problem: a non issue! :-)

I appreciate everyone's comments. Man...ive seen sooo many laminate stocks...with out being sarcastic I'd say at least 20+ and none of them had little spots completely undyed like this new stock. Yes some had light areas or darker areas but none had a completely unfinished dye spot. Maybe the 20 or so I've seen were just lucky or top notch or something.