PDA

View Full Version : Ejector issue

Redandwhite_72
02-19-2015, 09:46 AM
Long story some what shortened, I ruined my ejector and spring with a little more than warm load. It was a SSS ejector and spring. I tried them for 2 months with no luck. So I ordered a new ejector, retaining pin and a 110ba ejector spring (no my rifle is not a ba). I got the parts yesterday and got them installed. So here's my problem. The slot for the retaining pin sticks above the bolt face. So it catches on the face when to try and chamber a round. I'll attach a picture so you can see what I'm talking about. I did email savage this morning and they promptly responded and are shipping me a new one to try.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? It is a ptg bolt head. The SSS kit I had installed worked great with no trouble. So I'm sure its not the bolt head.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/19/20debc98548365396da0549d6e8e8ccf.jpg

foxx
02-19-2015, 10:18 AM
That's just wack, no matter how you slice it. either the ejector pin is too long or the head is too short. Make sure the firing pin protrudes the right amount when uncocked. If it does, then the ejector is just wrong. DOn't know why.

Redandwhite_72
02-19-2015, 10:27 AM
The firing pin protrudes the correct amount. I adjusted it when I installed the head. I can remember if I extended it or shortened it though.

I will probably try and fix the burs and whatnot on the SSS ejector if the one savage sends me still ain't right.

On a side note. The 110ba spring really flings the brass.

foxx
02-19-2015, 11:00 AM
Oh. The picture makes it look to me like the ejector is protruding beyond the top of the bolt head. You aid you adjusted it? How? I knew you could adjust the firing pin, didn't know the ejector could be adjusted, though.

Personally, I like less ejector "spring power" so that the brass doesn't get flung out hard, but that's just me. In fact, I have removed the ejector in a lot of mine just so the brass doesn't get tossed onto the concrete when opening the bolt. Don't know if that help accuracy, but I've been told it can 'cuz a heavy ejector will put pressure on one side of the case when chambered. THat could be a load of crap, though. :)

Redandwhite_72
02-19-2015, 11:04 AM
If its not beyond the bolt head its really close. Maybe it is my bolt head. The one from SSS was quite a bit beyond the bold head but the grove was not protruding past the face like this one. I thought it might be the spring first but the spring can only push it to the end of the groove.

LoneWolf
02-19-2015, 11:34 AM
I just swapped Ejectors on the bolt heads between the one on my M10 and the one on the PTG Bolt Head on my Shilen action because of weak ejection. I kept having brass not making it out of the action during the match I was at on Sunday and lots quite a few points due to having to stop and manually fling a case out. The Ejector on the M10 was a little longer so I hope it helps. If not I will look into a 110 BA spring since you're saying it works pretty nicely!

Redandwhite_72
02-19-2015, 11:42 AM
I'm thinking the ba spring would definitely help if you keep having trouble. I tried to compare it with the SSS spring but its damaged to much to compare.

BillPa
02-19-2015, 11:44 AM
The ejector protrudes the correct amount.

Its not otherwise the rim of a case wouldn't hang up on it.:p

The ejector cannot not protrude past the lower edge of bevel on the bolthead recess or at least be a bit below flush with the face. If it does I can assure you the rim of a case with catch on it 100% of the time when feeding from a mag. Been there, dooded that!!!

If you lengthened the tail end of the retaining pin slot you went too far. A new ejector will probably fix it or you can shorten the tip of the one you have.

Bill

Redandwhite_72
02-19-2015, 12:07 PM
Bill, sorry. I ment to say firing pin. Not ejector. I will correct that. I understand what you are saying. With the SSS ejector sticking past the rim it was a trick to get it to feed. I'm not real sure I understand what your saying about lengthening the tail end of the retaining pin slot. The only thing I've done to the bolt head was install the ejector and extractor. I guess other than see if I could blow it apart with my load mix up, but that's beside the point.

BillPa
02-19-2015, 12:57 PM
Bill, sorry. I ment to say firing pin. Not ejector. I will correct that.

I understand what you are saying. With the SSS ejector sticking past the rim it was a trick to get it to feed.

I'm not real sure I understand what your saying about lengthening the tail end of the retaining pin slot.

Maybe I'm confused.
http://i49.tinypic.com/1zppm40.jpg

Two ejectors. On the left is the new style as it came, on the right the one it replaced. They're positioned 180 out of each other but you can see how much the slot was lengthened on the back end on the right one. It came out of a used rifle I bought, probably the reason why it was on the used rack!:p The retaining pin does two things, retains the ejector and spring and limits it's amount of protrusion.

"With the SSS ejector sticking past the rim it was a trick to get it to feed."

The ejector plays no part in feeding from a mag unless of course it protrudes too far past the face of the bolt head. In other words it should feed the same with or without the ejector installed.

Bill

Redandwhite_72
02-19-2015, 01:03 PM
Bill. After looking at you picture, I think I might have installed the SSS ejector backward and that's why it would stick out too far. That was the feeding problem. It stuck out to far and the rim of the case would get wedged under it. The one savage sent me looks like the one on the left. If I deburr the SSS and install it the other way it might work for me.

short round
02-19-2015, 01:59 PM
Picture looks like bolt head retaining pin hole is to far forward in bolt head.

Redandwhite_72
02-19-2015, 02:08 PM
Picture looks like bolt head retaining pin hole is to far forward in bolt head.

The pin holding the bolt head to the bolt body? I don't remember if I measure that hole or not before I put the ptg bolt body on. It fits OK though. Shouldn't affect the ejector though.

short round
02-19-2015, 08:07 PM
OOPS. I meant to say ejector retaining pin hole looks to be to far forward in the bolt head.

Redandwhite_72
02-19-2015, 08:19 PM
OOPS. I meant to say ejector retaining pin hole looks to be to far forward in the bolt head.

OK. I'll have to measure when I get a chance

Redandwhite_72
02-19-2015, 11:11 PM

I did some measuring and here's what I found. The hole for the retaining pin is farther forward on he PTG bolt head. It's .012" closer to the face than the factory one.

I also did some measuring on the ejectors. The retaining pin slot on the new style factory ejector measured .256" long. The SSS ejector pin slot measured .242". And the factory old style ejector out of my model 12 measured .206". So what I did was put the model 12 ejector into the ptg bolt head and I put the new style factory ejector in the model 12 and all is well.