View Full Version : Savage Hate

Pages : 1 [2] 3

D.ID
02-20-2015, 02:20 AM
"I've even grown to love it's "clunky" look."
Same here.

mikein
02-20-2015, 09:14 AM
I own several Savages and have never quite understood why the folks that "hate" the rifles call them "clunky!" I wonder what they are seeing that I can't see?

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj184/mikein_bucket/DSC02953.jpg (http://s272.photobucket.com/user/mikein_bucket/media/DSC02953.jpg.html)

yobuck
02-20-2015, 11:23 AM
I own several Savages and have never quite understood why the folks that "hate" the rifles call them "clunky!" I wonder what they are seeing that I can't see?

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj184/mikein_bucket/DSC02953.jpg (http://s272.photobucket.com/user/mikein_bucket/media/DSC02953.jpg.html)

Nice rifle but that sure is a clunky little deer. I thought everything in Texas was big, really big. I know i know, that was just a cull buck. lol

mikein
02-20-2015, 11:36 AM
yobuck, in my little corner of the world, Central Texas, the deer are generally about the size of a large dog. If we take one that weighs more than about 100 pounds, on the ground, it's considered to be a pretty good sized animal. Now, down in South Texas, they have larger animals, but the Texas whitetails can never compete with the bruisers I've seen in other states. I saw one along side the highway in KY that had been hit by a car, and at first I thought it was a bear or a cow! The thing was huge! So, your thoughts that everything in Texas was "big, really big," is not true!

Nice rifle but that sure is a clunky little deer. I thought everything in Texas was big, really big. I know i know, that was just a cull buck. lol

Twinsen
02-20-2015, 04:47 PM
Wow, a large dog? You have Connecticut beat. Tall medium sized dogs there. I saw one bull that had more than spikes in my 25 years there. And since they're so overpopulated you see them literally every day.

mikein
02-20-2015, 06:27 PM
Twinsen, our little deer are thicker than the fleas in a Taliban fighter's beard. Around here in CenTex, the roadsides are littered with deer bodies and deer body parts; and the insurance companies make major pay-outs each year to cover the vehicle damage incurred. The number of deer harvested by hunters each year is huge (most counties have a 5 deer limit: 2 bucks and 3 does, and the season begins for bow hunters in October and doesn't end until mid-January!) but the numbers taken by vehicles is even larger.

bflee
02-20-2015, 09:13 PM
I have a clunky, heavy, basic Savage LRP 6.5CM. I dont shoot any competition except for with my shooting friends from work. Alot of them own Remmy's that have alot of money in them. Alot of them are spending more money now to try snd outshoot that LRP. I have 1800 dollars in the rifle and a Vortex 6-24x50 and it can handle any of them that have 3000 in their rig. It really makes some of them go onto other sites and talk crap about Savages! A couple have converted though!

bootsmcguire
02-20-2015, 11:44 PM
Me personally, Savage just has the number one thing a rifle (not including DG rifles) should have, and that is accuracy. Me, I have had great reliability with all of my factory built Savages, and 95% of the ones I have built into something else. The ease of switching from one thing to another is one of their greatest selling points for me and the ease of being able to modify them for odd and strange chamberings is a huge plus for me. I mean what else was a going to use to build a 444 Marlin bolt action pistol and have it be a repeater? A Savage Striker Pistol action, a barrel from Apache Gunworks, and opening up a .473 bolt head in the lathe and viola, an accurate custom made deer killing machine.

greyghost
02-21-2015, 12:35 AM
That is a great looking rifle,

snowgetter1
02-22-2015, 01:58 AM
Twinsen, our little deer are thicker than the fleas in a Taliban fighter's beard.
Ha! Love it!

Maine-iac
02-22-2015, 03:33 PM
I have a buddy who is a Mauser snob. He won't even consider owning a Ruger action. We went to the range recently and I had my Savage American Classic in 250 Savage and he had his Zastava Mauser style rifle in 7x57. He just got it back from a gun smith who spent months trimming the stock and smoothing the action. He took one look at my Savage American Classic and asked "what is that?" He was drooling at its sharp looks. It has deep bluing and a beautiful walnut stock. He picked it up pointed it and worked the action. He was speechless. He could not believe he was holding a Savage. His Zastava is the definition of clunky. Even after spending time at a smith it is like working an old 3 on the tree pick up. It does not feed right and does not eject correctly. My Savage is as smooth as silk and the tang safety and trigger pull are icing on the cake. We won't even discuss the lasers it sends down the range. Some people can't look past the birch stock plastic sight models with Simmons scopes that were sold at Service Merchandise back in the day. Even those were extremely accurate.

Twinsen
02-22-2015, 04:00 PM
I wanted a Zastava. Then I held one. The heck? Their mini mauser isn't even CRF. I have a Serbian Mauser probably of their manufacture. It can't eject. I have a lot of bad experience with bolt actions not being able to eject. I've avoided them like the plague until just recently.

I still haven't seen a 700 that could eject 4 or 5 rounds straight.

yukondog
02-24-2015, 02:48 AM
This is my second post here, I have had 3 savage's 06,270 and 308 and all have given me 1" groups at 100 yrds. I'm sold on them, the only one I have left is a old 4 dijet ser.# I'm trying to find out the ser.# in another post it shoots under a inch at 100 yrds. it's a great shooter and a keeper. Looking to many more post's here.

Mach2
02-24-2015, 08:16 AM
This is my second post here, I have had 3 savage's 06,270 and 308 and all have given me 1" groups at 100 yrds. I'm sold on them, the only one I have left is a old 4 dijet ser.# I'm trying to find out the ser.# in another post it shoots under a inch at 100 yrds. it's a great shooter and a keeper. Looking to many more post's here.

What do your trigger pulls test at? If you have oem trigger pulls and youre getting 1" groups already then just imagine what you'll get if all four of your rifles had 2lb triggers.(I never go below 2lb)

Hallbilly
03-06-2015, 03:59 AM
Only ever owned one Savage and unfortunately it's soooooooooooo boring.
It literally cleans itself, it's smooth, always feeds and predictably makes holes appear in the correct places. Boorrrriinngggg...............

wbm
03-06-2015, 12:04 PM
makes holes appear in the correct places

Don't you just hate that? :sorrow:

sc1911cwp
03-07-2015, 04:34 PM
Hope you like the build.

Robinhood
03-07-2015, 05:02 PM
(I never go below 2lb)

Do you shoot long range or targets for group size?

Hotolds442
03-07-2015, 05:12 PM
I earn the Savage hate every time I pull up to the local range with my ugly old 10FP in 223 and my HogHunter in 22/250. Shooting next to $2500-4000 Stiller Tacs and such, the disgusted looks never stop when I shoot one hole groups with my little $400 rifles while their targets look like Swiss cheese. I know where the hate comes from, they see their high dollar rifles as status symbols and just hate to be outshot by a run of the mill Savage. I love it when I sit next to a high dollar rifle owner trying to get factory ammo to group, because I know to them the high dollar stuff is just bling for their friends to ooh and aah over.

sc1911cwp
03-07-2015, 06:05 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a Savage PTA that is timed and trued without waiting forever? A serious question given the price and wait time. Am I better off going for a Remington clone>?