PDA

View Full Version : Problems with SSS trigger when torqued into McMillan stock

Jeg181420
02-18-2015, 01:02 AM
Ok so I've got a Savage that now sits in a McMillan A5 stock. The rifle has a SSS Comp trigger and with the barreled action out of the stock, I can get the trigger adjusted to just under 1 pound and it breaks like glass and is very consistent; exactly how I want it. Safety works as it should, will not slam fire or bump fire, etc. But when I put the barreled action into the stock and torque it down, I start having problems with the trigger. Pull weight goes from around 15 oz to 2 lb and will sometimes fire if the bolt is slammed closed. Also, sometimes the trigger will not reset after it is fired and the bolt is worked.

It seems to me that maybe the stock is binding up the trigger somewhere and maybe I need to take out/ recess a little of the fiberglass? The shape and size of the SSS trigger assembly is considerably larger than that of a factory Savage trigger. Could also be too much torque? Any input would be appreciated, thank you. I have tried getting in touch with SSS but have been unsuccessful.

sharpshooter
02-18-2015, 01:28 AM
Check for clearance in the trigger guard. Typically the spot that hangs up is right at the front of the slot, touching the tip of the trigger preventing any further movement. The remedy is to lengthen the slot forward about 1/16".

Jeg181420
02-18-2015, 01:49 AM
Check for clearance in the trigger guard. Typically the spot that hangs up is right at the front of the slot, touching the tip of the trigger preventing any further movement. The remedy is to lengthen the slot forward about 1/16".

Thanks, I will give it a shot.

huntin1
02-18-2015, 10:22 AM
If you torque the action screws as specified that should not cause the problem you described. I think you already hit on the solution, the trigger assembly is binding somewhere. Removing material as suggested by sharpshooter will likely fix it, if not, you'll have to figure out where the trigger assembly is touching inside the stock. I'd try a black felt tip marker and color the inside of the stock in the trigger area. Torque the action into the stock and then remove it and look for marks.