PDA

View Full Version : Savage 11VT and Savage 12 LRPV

Donnie D
02-17-2015, 07:31 PM
This will seem like a dumb question, but I'm fairly new to Savage rifles. I know the 11VT has the Accutrigger, and the 12 LRPV has the Target Accu trigger. Also the 11VT has a heavy tapered barrel, and the 12 LRPV has the stainless full bull barrel. Neither has the Accu stock. Other than about $600 difference in price what are the other differences in the two rifles.
Thanks,
Donnie D

foxx
02-17-2015, 07:44 PM
LRP has a HS Precision Stock (far superior to the Accustock or any other Savage synthetic Stock) and a Stainless Steel target action which is not "open" across the top like the hunting actions. I believe it also takes a large shank barrel, which is no big deal, really, until you go to replace it someday. Even then, you just need to know it's larger so as to get the correct version. Large shank is not necessarily any better than standard shank.

Donnie D
02-17-2015, 07:54 PM
Thanks foxx. I also know the 12 LRPV has a right hand ejection port and a left hand loading port, but I just didn't see how that would be of benefit to me. In fact, it seems that it might be a bit awkward. Either way, I was saving for the 12, but needed some of the money for other things, and decided to get the 11VT. So far I'm very impressed with it.
Donnie D :smug:

foxx
02-17-2015, 08:05 PM
They are all good. When shooting from the bench it is nice to see into the action when loading. But the cost difference is high. I dont imagine ever getting one of those either. But then again, I shoot right hand actions left handed anyhow. So I do know the advantage a left load port is to right handed shorter.

HAMPS
02-18-2015, 05:12 PM
I have the LRPV in 6BR Norma. Left load and eject. Been shooting 300m F- class with it and doing quote well. Love the gun. Trigger set around 10oz.

Fotheringill
02-18-2015, 05:17 PM
Advantages are seeing what you are doing when putting in a round and keeping your trigger finger warm while loading.

Donnie D
02-18-2015, 08:34 PM
Yeah, I would surely love to have a 12, but the price was just a bit high for my budget. I held one at a gun shop in Athens Ga back in the fall, and man was I impressed. NICE rifle. But, I like my 11 VT as well.
Donnie D

Robinhood
02-18-2015, 09:09 PM
The LRPV is a RBLP (Right Bolt Left Port) single shot target action W/Target Trigger and the 3 action screw HS precision stock. The 11VT is just another Savage with a DBM, large bolt knob with a varmint barrel.

Donnie D
02-18-2015, 09:25 PM
What's a DBM? Is that good or bad. Hope it's good.
Donnie D

Robinhood
02-18-2015, 09:35 PM
Detachable Box Magazine
................Bottom Metal

Heck I don't know I just see it all over this forum.

Donnie D
02-18-2015, 09:40 PM
I think you're right. Detachable Box Magazine. Sounds good anyway. Either way it seems to be a nice rifle for the money.
Donnie D

barrel-nut
02-18-2015, 10:51 PM
If you're happy with it, you did good. Don't beat yourself up about the LRPV. If you cease to be happy with the one you have, it's a simple matter to improve it later.
I like the 11VT's too.

Donnie D
03-01-2015, 06:40 PM
One more dumb question. With my 11 VT, am I restricted to shooting .223 only, or can I safely shoot 5.56 as well?
Thanks,
Donnie D

Jaxn
03-05-2015, 08:44 PM
Not unless it's chambered for it. If the markings say .223, then do NOT shoot .556 ammunition. Google SAMMI and read what it tells you about the differences. I saw a .223 rifle at my local gunsmith's shop that had a .556 fired through it.........not pretty. Now your mileage may vary, but unless it says .556, don't shoot it in your rifle.

Donnie D
03-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the info J. That's what I thought. Mine says .223 on the barrel, so that's what I use in it. I'll save the 5.56 for my AR, as that is what it is chambered for. I've got a pretty good supply of both. Just don't tell Obama.
Thanks again,
Donnie D

PaddyD
03-07-2015, 08:55 AM
I have had the LRPV chambered in 204 Ruger for a few years now and am absolutely impressed with this rifle. Finally, a production rifle that shoots as well as a custom costing thousands more. This rifle with my own loads will shoot 1/4" groups all day long at 100 yds. I think a major factor in it's accuracy is the fact that there is no magazine cutout in the bottom of the action. This lends to a very stiff action. The stock also is of very high quality. I'm just wondering if a better barrel would make it shoot even better.

Hotolds442
03-07-2015, 11:18 AM
Possibly, but why mess with success? When the accuracy of your barrel starts falling off where you can no longer maintain the accuracy you're currently achieving, then it's time to go barrel shopping. Until then, I'd leave it alone and keep shooting small groups!

Fotheringill
03-09-2015, 01:42 PM
Target Accu-Trigger can get the trigger pull down to 6 oz. Not so for the regular accu-trigger.