PDA

View Full Version : Is the .17 Mach 2 cartridge Dying??

Pages : 1 [2]

shaman
06-16-2010, 02:49 AM
Bet you won't find many 338 Lapua Magnums in most gun stores either. That doesn't mean there isn't a market for it.

Teddy Bear
06-16-2010, 04:00 AM
Sure but the HM2's and HMR's are a relatively new breed and the average joe that walks in and has never heard of them and is looking for a rimfire would buy a 22 if there's nothing else on the shelf that catches his eye.

revbc
06-17-2010, 12:35 PM
"The common .22 rimfire Short cartridge dates from the period of the American Civil War. It was first used in a S&W pocket pistol introduced in 1857 and it is the oldest cartridge still being loaded today." Chuck Hawks.

There is no doubt the M2 suffers from an identity crisis as I stated in a previous post. However, the 22 rimfire has had quite awhile to make a name for itself. As I said, the average Joe sportsman looked at the ballistics of the HMR compared to the M2 and chose the HMR. The HMR is a fine cartridge in its on right, but way overkill for squirrels and small game not shot at varmint rifle distances. I like my 22's, but I love this M2.

davemuzz
06-18-2010, 08:01 AM
IMHO......If your looking for a cartridge with a bullet that is absolutely fantastic on varmints the size of groundhogs out to 125 yards, and shoots flat out to that range, then you should look at buying a box of the Hornady 22 Mag 32gr. V-Max.

This relatively new product (I think they introduced it a little over a year ago) gives me .5" groups at 100 yards from my Winchester 9422 Mag. consistently and I just don't get any "flyers."

And when that G-hog gets thumped by that little 32 grain red tipped bullet, it just plain flops! Some may give a one or two step effort, but that's about the best.

Now, I've hit 'em at that range with "regular" 22 mag 40gr. ammo and watched 'em run 25 yards to their hole and down. But not with this Hornady ammo.

And accuracy?? Have a Crow land in the 125 yard "Zone". If I do my part it's "feather pile!"

If you have a 22 mag rifle just lyin around, pick up a box and try it. You may be surprised.

Dave

revbc
06-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Dave,
Not exactly sure the size of a groundhog, but apparently its bigger than a fox squirrel. Sounds like the 22mag is doing the job for you. I think this new ammo is the product of the 17 performance jump. But to get back to the OP's discussion, I don't think this new 22mag ammo is going to make the 22lr obsolete, just as the performance of the HMR is not going to make the M2 obsolete.

I know the sales on the M2's (rifles) have taken a dip, but they are still being manufactured by Savage and maybe a few others.

mctjeep
06-19-2010, 06:46 PM
I wish they'd come out with a 20gr fmj and Hollowpoint offering for the mach2 like they have for the HMR. Mine is a cz-452 varmint.

Cz has discontinued the mach 2. :-\

shaman
06-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Look into the 17aguila

IronLance
07-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Dying? I don't believe so. More like settling into it's own niche and becoming steady, after the first bout of "omg, a new round, gotta have it!" syndrome associated with almost all new cartridges.

davemuzz
07-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Ironlance hit the nail on the head. The nice part of the rimfire 17's is you don't "have" to do any reloading....they are very accurate,.....and the report is very low,....and they pile up small critters out to 125 or 150 yards at a stretch.

But, just don't push them beyond their capabilities. Any tiny 20gr. bullet loses energy pretty fast once you get beyond 100 yards. Even my .17 Fireball shooting a 25 gr. bullet....the maximum range I use is 200 yards. Beyond that the energy drops off very fast.

So.....use 'em where they are ment to be used. But if your trying to shoot something at 200 yards with a M-2, your prolly pushing it....unless it's a tweety bird.

Dave

basalt
08-13-2010, 06:51 PM
I know this thread is old, but I love the HM2 so much I just had to add my 0.02. There is nothing wrong with the HM2. Hornady made a mistake offering the HMR first. If the HM2 was released first, it would have the current following the HMR does. People would have bought it, loved it, and then when an even more powerful version came out, bought it as well. Some people still bought both, but an overwhelming majority won't see the need to "downgrade" which is a shame.

And unfortunately too many people have the attitude that its not different enough from the 22lr that it is worth getting. But that couldn't be farther from the truth. Don't get me wrong, 22lr has its place and many advantages. But going from 22lr to 17HM2 to me is very much like going from an air rifle (a VERY good one, this isn't an insult) to the 22lr. The difference in trajectory is dramatic.

The HM2 is awesome out to 125, and very usable to 175 if you can read wind well or if it is still. The HMR is a TON more devastating on game within 100 yards, and the nice thing about the HM2 is head shots to 100 yards are easily doable (I shoot mostly from prone though). The trajectory is fantastic. While the HMR has power/range to its advantage, the HM2 is better in every other way. Quieter, less ricochet, half the cost, just as accurate. Plus in most cases, the HMR is too powerful, and the range often isn't really needed. I wouldn't call the ammo just hunting grade. I shoot 1/2" 100 yard groups all day long, and have a .3" group from my 10/17 minus one flier that was all me.

LOVE IT. I just had SMOS arms built me a fully custom MK II receiver/barrel since their 10/17 barrel was so accurate. receiver and barrel are machined from one solid blank and mated. Can't wait to give it a try.

It is here to stay.

kentucky gunner
08-16-2010, 11:17 AM
i have 2 hmr rifles and a hm2. i have found the hmr rifles to be the most accurate. i know of several other shooters in several different states who have found the same thing!!! the bullet just lends itself to the faster speeds of the hmr is the belief of most shooters. we have tested the hm2 at 25,50 and 100 yards and the hmr rifles have proven to be the most accurate. i have tried every type of hm2 ammo in mine. the eley hm2 ammo was the best by far, but since i purchased my 2 cases of it years ago, they have changed something in it. it is no longer the same ammo it used to be. even with the good eley hm2 ammo the hmr rifles outshot it with plain old 17 grain hornady ammo.

i don't think ammo is going away, but the rifle companies have backed way off production of this chambering. companies like cz have dropped it all together. the demand for it isn't there because there are better rounds out there. a few years back several gunsmith's tried to make match rifles using turbo actions and lilja 17 caliber barrels. they just didn't fly. they wanted to try the hmr(which is a more accurate round) but the bolt isn't long enough to use the hmr round and flash doesn't make a action for rimfire magnum rifle. the market isn't there and no sanctioned matches allow use of a magnum rifle. the have to be .22lr.

long and short of it is that the hmr does everything the hm2 won't. you just have to pay the piper when you buy ammo for it!!! i'm sure i may have made you hm2 guys upset, but somebody has to come in and state the truth. the round is lack luster in everyway compaired to the hmr. i believe the makers should have came out with the hm2 first, then unleashed the hmr. then you'd see a different story. the hm2 would be everyplace sitting on shelves because the hmr would out shoot it.

basalt
08-17-2010, 06:28 PM
long and short of it is that the hmr does everything the hm2 won't. you just have to pay the piper when you buy ammo for it!!! i'm sure i may have made you hm2 guys upset, but somebody has to come in and state the truth. the round is lack luster in everyway compaired to the hmr.

Obviously we disagree. The HM2 drops 4.4" at 150 yards. The HMR 5" at 175 yards. That 25yard difference is completely dependent on what it is used for. If you plan to shoot Coyotes with it, or mostly at ranges 175 and beyond, the HMR is the round of choice. Anywhere under that and there really is no huge advantage. However, if its a small game rifle, and where you shoot most is close enough to other people/property to make you pucker a little, the HM2 is better than the HMR and 22lr.

I have shot 4 different HM2s and all shot sub-1" at 100. 3 were sub 1/2" with ELEY ammo purchased this year. I don't think accuracy edge goes either way. Although ELEY ammo is available for HM2, not HMR so IMO that is an advantage.

kentucky gunner
08-17-2010, 11:43 PM
i used to shoot birds with the hmr daily. when i moved into this house i haven't had the time. the eley ammo isn't what people thinks it is. it's not match ammo. i have shot several hm2's besides my own and none will shoot under a inch at 100 yards. i have glass bedded and put pillers in only about 25 for other people. i have recrowned lord knows how many of them. did they shoot better? yes. i have yet to send one home that the people haven't called me back and thanked me for making them more accurate.

if the hm2 was so accurate the custom biult rifles on the turbo action would be everyplace. the fact is they are not that accurate. i'll say with 100% certony my custom biult .22lr will shoot rings around any hm2 at any range.

the simple fact is big name rimfire smiths have tried thier best to make highly accurate rifles based on this round. what did they deside after trying? to give it up. the .22lr is cock of the walk in rimfire.

here is how i look at it. if a .22lr isn't going to kill what i want at the range i need i step up to the .22 mag. if it doesn't reach out and kill what i need i step on up to one of the many centerfires i have on hand. i have also moved away from biulding savage target rifles. i now us B.A.T. or STILLER or HALL actions..

everybody wants everybody else to think one round is better than the other. i can tell you the hm2 isn't doing anything at all. nor is the hmr. it is just the hmr is a more accurate round period if your going to use a rimfire in the .17 caliber. to many other people have tried and figured it out.

kentucky gunner
08-18-2010, 12:02 AM
this place is almost as bad as rimfire central on brand/caliber loyalty. there is no one action, no one caliber that will do it all. if there was i'd unload about 30 rifles and keep that one that did it all.

if you don't believe me go over to rimfire central and look at the ruger 10/22 section, the hm2 section, the hmr section, and then every other section. i'm tired of hearing how every factory production rifle is better than any custom biult match rifle. i've been in the match shooting game for rimfire and centerfire long enough to believe anybody other than a beginner is that danged stupid!!!!

heck the annies that show up in matches and win don't even have annie barrels on them unless they are in a factory class type match(and none of them are sanctioned by the way). they all have bruaghton,shilens,krieger,lilja,hart,douglas or now rock creek barrels. no green mountain barrels and certonly no 10/22 type actions period.

the hm2 is nothing more than a hunting round even with the non-match(nobody makes match ammo for the hm2 or the hmr. no eley or anybody)eley ammo. they are not sub-moa at 100 yard rifles. they are hunting /plinking rifle. the best rimfire smith's in the nation couldn't make a match grade rifle for a cheap plinking class out of them and now i have a guy tell me his shoots sub-moa at 100 yards. i'm flying the B.S. flag right here and now guys!!!!

basalt
08-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Fly whatever flag you want. I'm not sure when custom built match rifles entered the "Is HM2 a good round" conversation, but clearly you have your mind set. I know what I shoot and the HM2's I've shot do. Thats all that matters.

100 yards:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_PasEXrRYnyc/TEVA5PFp6vI/AAAAAAAAAuc/Y94nWxQLzHQ/s800/17hm2-100.jpg
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_PasEXrRYnyc/S9M1JManu_I/AAAAAAAAAeI/wsJSrkEwDUU/s800/IMG_0669.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_PasEXrRYnyc/S9M1IM3Z7PI/AAAAAAAAAeE/vOY_PfgeiJ8/s800/IMG_0668.JPG

poncaguy
08-21-2010, 10:31 AM
I just got a Savage HM2 .......to go with my 3 Savage 17 HMR's. and my Savage 22........I love it, great accuracy and fun to shoot. Plenty of ammo available.

tdnichols
02-24-2011, 04:57 PM
IF YOU DON"T WANT TO BUY TELl ME WHERE IT IS

HMR-HOUND
03-16-2011, 01:13 AM
Simply said the 22s are the immortal originals and the 17s are modern technology.

They are all financially viable for the ammo companies. They probably cant afford not to produce all rimfires because that is the market they expanded themselves too.

I think if they came out with 20 cal rimfire based on the LR and MAG it would be even better for us as consumers and them as manufacturers just because we have the technology to develop new bullets and the interest in new cals. I'm sure a 20cal rimfire could piggyback on some of the .204s prestige lol.

I recently asked this question on CGN actually.