PDA

View Full Version : 10FCP-SR question

powderburnz
02-15-2015, 06:32 PM
Looking at getting a 10fcp-sr. On the savage website it shows a scope rail on the rifle. Anyone know if it comes with the gun? Next, if it does will a SFWA 16x42mq with the SFWA low(1") rings work with that rail? I know the odds of someone knowing this is low, doesn't hurt to ask

Twinsen
02-15-2015, 06:56 PM
Their low rings worked for me, but if you're shorter they might not. For me at 6 foot tall, the first spot for a clearance issue is the bell against the rail itself, not the objective against the barrel. Somebody taller or lankier would have no problem. If you're over 5'9" I can say you're good. Otherwise, I don't know.

powderburnz
02-15-2015, 07:37 PM
Their low rings worked for me, but if you're shorter they might not. For me at 6 foot tall, the first spot for a clearance issue is the bell against the rail itself, not the objective against the barrel. Somebody taller or lankier would have no problem. If you're over 5'9" I can say you're good. Otherwise, I don't know.

Do you have this gun? Did the rail come on it?

Twinsen
02-15-2015, 10:43 PM
Yes, I have one. The rail comes with the rifle and it is a straight 0 MOA rail made by EGW. It is a nice rail.

powderburnz
02-15-2015, 11:14 PM
Yes, I have one. The rail comes with the rifle and it is a straight 0 MOA rail made by EGW. It is a nice rail.

Thanks, I'm gonna be bench resting this rifle so school me up on the explaination of ones height?

acridsaint
02-16-2015, 12:37 AM
Mine came with a 0MOA EGW rail. I have the current one, same as Twinsen.

I used Warne Maxima low QD rings and I could go lower. This rifle has a straight comb, so I think you will hit the barrel with your scope bell before you get the eyepiece too low.

Twinsen
02-16-2015, 01:19 AM
Thanks, I'm gonna be bench resting this rifle so school me up on the explaination of ones height?

Slight differences in distance from eyeball to shoulder. We're talking about clearances around a tenth of an inch or less when picking scope rings. I believe I got mine to 0.07" with my final decision of rings because I wanted it as low as possible. I'd bet you're good with the lows, but there's no way to say for sure.

What I do is use a set of rings that are too tall to figure out where I want the scope front-to-back on the rail.

Then:
1. Measure closest clearance area with calipers for vertical clearance distance (in my case it was bell to rail)
2. Measure tube to top of rail with calipers
3. Subtract #1 from #2.
4. Find rings that just barely clear that.

Somebody's version of "low rings" are on every bolt action that I play with.

acridsaint
02-16-2015, 03:39 PM
I did find with my other, smaller scope that I hit the rail with the bell before I got the scope back as far as I wanted it. For me, the rail could be a little shorter. Not a big complaint, but I don't have much need for it to be that long. I have my current bell within about 1/8", but when I put the temporary scope on I had it so close that I ran a dollar bill between it to make sure it wasn't touching.

The SWFA low mounts are the same height as mine, according to their spec sheet, but I think if you use them as a 1" ring, the scope will rest slightly higher. I'm not sure, as I've never used their inserts.