PDA

View Full Version : Making My Mod. 12 F/TR Into A Switch-Barrel...

Ernie B
02-15-2015, 03:10 PM
First, I hope I'm asking the following in the correct thread and second, I hope I can ask this question in a manner that makes sense to those who read it!! As indicated in the title, I have a Savage Model 12 F/TR and I already have a Lilja 6mm, 8-twist barrel blank of the same length and contour as the current .308 barrel ordered for it which I plan to have chambered in 6XC. What I'm hoping to accomplish here is to have this project end up with an actual honest-to-goodness switch-barrel rifle. My question is what all will I need to do to make this work out. On some of the stuff I've read, it has been said that heavier recoil lugs will be needed as well as having special, trued barrel nuts made as well as other things. With this being my first time working with a Savage rifle and barrel system, much of what I've read I must admit I didn't really understand. With many of you guys on here having years of knowledge working with/on these rifles, I felt this would be the best place to start out to get some answers.

The bottom line is: what all will I need to do and what all parts and pieces will I need to make my rifle into a true switch-barrel rifle. Many thanks in advance for your help.

Ernie

Robinhood
02-15-2015, 03:37 PM
The bolt head is the same. All you need is head space gauges in go and no-go dimensions for both calibers. Tools to change barrels like a barrel vise and or an action wrench, and the right barrel nut wrench. You would probably want to get the splined nuts for ease of removal. You can use the original recoil lug if you want to. And lastly if you are not a person that is mechanically inclined(be honest), get yourself a mentor to help you out.

Ernie B
02-15-2015, 03:48 PM
Robinhood, thanks so much for the help and advise. I totally agree about getting knowledgeable help. As for being mechanically inclined, I was an auto mechanic for over 30 years, but that don't help out a whole lot as far as working on guns!! However, I have been hunting and shooting since I was 6 years old (I'm a WV hillbilly by birth, so most of the time, if you wanted meat, you had to HUNT and KILL it!!) With all those years and guns, this is the FIRST Savage I've ever owned. I always seemed to end up with Big Green when it came to guns, but with their prices these days, and given the fact that they don't come come close to the accuracy of a Savage, I guess you could say I've changed colors!!

Ernie