PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 10 T

dribnicky
02-13-2015, 11:03 PM
Hi,

I'm new to these forums, and part of the reason I joined is because I'm in the market for a bolt action rifle. I'd like to do some long range shooting and possibly some hunting as well.

There is a sale currently at Cabela's on the Savage Model 10 T in .308, which is if I've read correctly, a rifle model specifically put out through Cabela's. It is heavy at 9 lbs with the BA extended bolt handle, etc. I went to Cabela's today and checked it out. It seems heavier than I thought it would be, but with a $100 rebate, the rifle can be had for around $435. I had been considering a Ruger American, but then I saw the Model 10 in the sale flier and was curious. The salesperson also showed me a Tikka T3 for about $525, and I've done some reading on that gun as well (very good reviews). Everything I've read about the Savage has been very favorable, and I know several people who own Savage's and swear by them.

I'm wondering if anyone on here owns one, and if you do, do you hunt with it or is it more of a long range bench shooter? As it will be my first bolt gun, I just want to make sure I'm getting a rifle that will serve my purposes and be fun to shoot as well. Thanks in advance for any advice or info.

Best,
Dave

Breeze
02-14-2015, 01:41 AM
I've got one ,yes it's a little heavy .
I have a NF ATACR mounted on it which does not help the weight problem, with that said it's a lot of gun for the money.
ba bolt handle ,accutrigger , accustock & 5r rifling.
Very accurate rifle.
I don't hunt much with it due to the weight, but it's a blast to shoot LR ,from the bench and prone

Rocket223
02-17-2015, 09:20 PM
I just bought one of those at Cabelas great deal, it's a lot of gun for the money. I really picked it up for the action for a project gun but after using it I want to see what it will do before I take it apart. I will use it for hunting down the road, just swap out barrels. I needed to replace a Rem 700 SPS in 308 that turned into an FTR rig. It's a bit heavy but so was the Remington. I'm very happy with the gun.

Dogfish
02-24-2015, 01:30 AM
Purchased a 10T earlier this month. Topped it with a Vortex Viper MRAD EBR-1. Using basic handloads, 4064 and 168 gr SMK's moving out at 2650fps. After about 60 rounds through it I'm getting very comfortable with it. Best group at 100 was 0.492" at 100. At 200 my best was 1.35". It still isn't broken in and the loads are only testloads that copy Federal Gold Medal Match. Can't wait to tailor the load and COAL length for this rifle. Dope is good to 400 so far and it has been one of the most painless rifles to work up. It just shoots, period.

Best parts, the rifle was less than $250 out of pocket after rebate and Cabelas bucks. Traded a 6.8 AR rifle that was extra for the scope,so out of pocket was minimal.

It it is a bit heavy.