PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 BTCSS - .22-250 - feeding issue

1bullet2kills
05-07-2010, 11:46 AM
I am new to rifle shooting. I saved up and just purchased a brand new Savage Model 12 BTCSS. I took it to the indoor range just to fire it a few times before I use it at long yardage.

When I pull the bolt back, the brass ejects just fine, but does not pick up the new one to load in the chamber. I can see it there in the Detachable Box Magazine, but the bolt just slides back and forth.

I have tried Remington UMC and Hornady Vmax. It does not appear to do it on the first round, but usually the second round.

I measured the brass length and OD and are as follows...

Remington UMC 45gr = length is 2.315" and OD's are .467:
Hornady Vmax 55gr = length is 2.347" and OD's are .467:

I took out the bolt, wiped it down, lubed it again and ran the action back and forth about 200 times.

What else should I try? ???

1bullet2kills
05-11-2010, 09:12 PM
What? No help here in this forum?

drybean
05-11-2010, 09:20 PM
give people some time

Blue Avenger
05-11-2010, 09:25 PM
plan a... have savage send you a new clip
plan b...bend the mag lips out to let the round up a little higher. no need to bend then very much.

Locosmith
05-11-2010, 09:25 PM
if it's a detachable mag, you may need to adjust the lips on the mag. It (the round)has to lift up a little for the bolt to catch it.Loco

82boy
05-11-2010, 09:48 PM
On the new detachable magazines make sure it is in properly, there is a way to jam them in and it looks like it is in but it is not. Make sure the magazine clips in. If it is out them you will get a condition just like you have described.

slyfox
06-26-2010, 05:55 PM
I have had the same problem with my Model 12 BTCSS in 22-250. I sent it back to Savage, under warranty, and they sent it back with no explanation. All there was, was a list of four (4) one dollar ($1) parts used. Sooooooooooooooooo not happy with Savage. >:(

rjtfroggy
06-27-2010, 07:07 AM
Don't want to highjack but Slyfox what aren't you happy about? It is fixed right?
I have sent rifles back to Remington and get them back with no paper work at all so you don't even know if it was looked at until you try it out.
IMO Savage has one of if not the BEST CS departments there is in the industry,and I think 99.99% of the Savage owners will agree with me.

hailstone
06-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Doesn't surprise me there wasn't any indication of what was done. Ruger does send information but try to decifer what they're talking about. I would speculate that its done on purpose. This way you have too try it in order varify that its been fixed. Better than admitting through the paperwork that your quality control isn't very good because something got by them.

Concerning the problem the poster possed, I would speculate that the detachable box magazine is not going into the stock opening far enough. Savage's new method of using the wood/plastic stock as intergal part of gun operation rather than something to hold the barreled action can cause problems. Metal is dimensionaly consistant between different pieces. Throw wood into that equation which can be effected by moisture and has different rates of expansion/contraction compared to metal. Wouldn't take much misalignment to prevent the bolt from picking up a new round.

Another thought I just had would be to remove the spring from the box magazine and stretch it some. Possible that its not pushing the next round high enough for the bolt to pick up. If after loading the magazine and inserting in the firearm the bolt picks up and chambers the first round but none of the following rounds in the magazine then that indicates to me a weak box spring not pushing the rounds up high enough for feeding.