PDA

View Full Version : Model 11 7mmWSM to 284, how to convert?

mattri
02-13-2015, 08:01 PM
Have a flat back model 11 7mm WSM controll round feed staggerfeed with a blind mag stock.

To convert to a 284 what all will be needed?

Bolt face

Firing pin?

CRF an issue?

What else to look at?

Hotolds442
02-13-2015, 08:38 PM
If the firing pin you currently have is adjustable, you should be able to use it with the new bolt head, just reset the protrusion before use. Your new bolt head will need an ejector, spring, and retaining pin, and you'll need to remove the standing ejector from the receiver currently used by the CRF system. You'll also probably need a new magazine box and follower, I believe the feed lips are too short on the WSM box and will cause the 284 cases to attempt to load high - jamming them into the breech face. You'll also need to make sure that the barrel you get matches the shank of your WSM receiver, either small or large shank. You'll also need a headspace gauge. That should about do it.

mattri
02-14-2015, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the reply. Debating on whether to build this as a 284 or sell it and buy something else.

Robinhood
02-14-2015, 06:51 PM
good information Hotold's. I tried the same thing before going to a long action 280 AI. I had luck bending the WSM lips inward on the forward end. It made it hard to load and tore up the brass. I tweaked around on it for a while and finally got it right. I had to hone sand and polish the sharp edges on the fed lip or it destroyed the brass going in. I like to do that stuff but for some it isn't worth it.