PDA

View Full Version : New 116 build

Crossfire
02-13-2015, 06:06 PM
I am still pretty new at this so bear with me. Last year I built my 1st gun ( a Savage of course ) I started with a hog hunter .308, bought a 6mm br barrel from McGowin and a thumb-hole Varmint stock form EABCO. Had a blast & can switch back & forth between the two calibers fairly easily. Now I want to try this on a long action. I'm thinking of starting with the Savage Bear Hunter in 300WM (really cool gun) and I'd like to buy a .280 ackley improved barrel. I'm pretty sure that I'll need a different bolt face, but other than that can these two calibers interchange on this action?

Crossfire
02-13-2015, 09:05 PM
I don't know what the difference between large & small shank but could that trip me up?

scooterf79
02-14-2015, 09:19 AM
An overwhelming majority of the rifles are small shank, so you SHOULD be a small shank. Savage made the WSMs and some of the Ultra Mags in large shank. I cant remember the actual measurement different right off the top of my head, but if you search it on the site it will come up. Ive not done a bolt head change myself but the bolt face and possible firing pin (depending on the pin hole size) will need to be changed, but people here do it all the time so its doesn't seem to be much of a problem. You may need to tweek your magazine to hold the smaller diameter cases in the 280AI, but you can be the judge of that. My 280 is a little snug going into a 30-06 mag, so it may feed through the mag box perfectly. I love my 280AI by the way, youll like it too Im sure. If you're switching the barrels much it maybe easier to just have a whole bolt ready to change out. Hope this helps.

Scooter

SparkyLB
02-14-2015, 12:37 PM
It can trip you up, as the barrel threads are different diameters for each shank size. The barrel threads in a large shank scenario is 1.120", 20 threads per inch. The barrel threads on the standard barrel are 1.055, also 20 tpi. A way to tell which size shank is on your rifle (while assembled), is to measure the barrel nut length, front to back. The large-shank barrel's nut is 5/8" long, and the standard size shank is 7/8" long. Both barrels are threaded at 20 tpi, but they're not interchangeable regarding screwing into the action.

Crossfire
05-02-2015, 08:12 AM
It looks like it's time to begin this build. I just ordered the 116 Bear Hunter in 300WM. I've already got a buyer for the stock barrel. I plan on working up two loads for the 280AI. A lighter bullet 140-150grs. And a heavier thumper in the 175-180 range. Does anyone one have any load suggestions? This will become my primary hunting rifle from Elk & moose down to Coyotes.

scooterf79
05-02-2015, 03:54 PM
Sounds good! Cant wait to see the results....Im not home right now but when I get home Ill check my data and post it.
Scooter

cb308
05-05-2015, 07:29 PM
It looks like it's time to begin this build. I just ordered the 116 Bear Hunter in 300WM. I've already got a buyer for the stock barrel. I plan on working up two loads for the 280AI. A lighter bullet 140-150grs. And a heavier thumper in the 175-180 range. Does anyone one have any load suggestions? This will become my primary hunting rifle from Elk & moose down to Coyotes.

Good luck with your build! I'm in the middle of the same thing. Have a new Bear Hunter torn apart on the bench right now waiting for parts. After several 700 sniper rifle builds this is my first Savage. I was completely amazed on how smooth the stock action is compared to a stock 700. The 116 Bear in 300WM is a good rifle, pretty much a 1/2 MOA gun out of the box. Customs builds can only make it better. Have fun with your build.

Crossfire
06-17-2015, 10:45 AM
CB308. What did you do to convert your bolt?