PDA

View Full Version : Can you properly mount a Leopold on a Savage?

Pages : 1 [2]

Jamie
02-17-2015, 09:29 PM
The vx2 is a short scope and needs an offset front ring setup,
or as has been mentioned a picitinny base..

That is the most correct answer. The rear base, while it will work like it is, sounds to be installed backwards. An extended ring (Leupy makes them) should have been used one the front instead. That would have given you the clearance to slide the scope without being against the bell and possibly allowed the rear to be turned around so it is not as close to the adjustment knobs. Now sometimes even with using the correct setup the scope is just too short to span the rings properly, a Picatinny rail is then your friend.

FEENIX
02-18-2015, 12:47 AM
+1. Finally got the EGW one piece for my Savage LA flat back....don't know why I waited so long.

You might want to consider bedding it too!

pitsnipe
02-18-2015, 01:02 PM
Should I be concerned about accuracy with the way the base is cantilevered?

Yes you should. Much like a tall building will fall with a poor foundation. That is a poor foundation. You have basically two choices for mounting that (and this ISNT a Leupold problem as ANY "short" scope will have this issue) scope to that action:

Off set rings front and rear mounted to bases that are attached to the receiver using BOTH screws in EACH base or......
As mentioned, a one piece base (piccatinney rail) that will give your NON OFFSET rings of choice more places to mount to.

But, with a blind mag, that can be a pain loading. I have seen it done. Using bases that are milled out underneath to allow a little more loading AND case ejecting room.

Good luck,

Snipe