PDA

View Full Version : Snagging Bolt

pepper savage 111
02-12-2015, 11:26 PM
Hey guys, I'm hoping some of you can chime in a help me solve the issue I'm having with me bolt handle...

A little background:

I had a model 111 in 30-06 sitting in my safe collecting dust because it was unpleasant to shoot at the range (I'm more of a paper puncher then a hunter), I called Jim at NSS and ordered a Shilen Select Match barrel for it along with his recoil lug, barrel nut, and target action spring. I installed all the parts with no issues, used go and no-go gauges to headspace and all worked as expected. I reassembled the bolt with the extractor and ejector and went to test it with a snap cap. That's when i ran into my problem....

So, just to throw this out there, I tried multiple brands of snap caps, spent brass, and new brass and they all have the same issue. When I close the bolt on the casing or snap cap the bolt sticks just after it turns about 3 degrees to close (right at the beginning of the clockwise turning motion). What gives? It will close with some moderate force but it makes a pretty audible click (kind of like a more robust pop like the dome from the board game "Trouble"). It has never done that before I changed the barrel. Whats more is that it cycles fine with the go gauge, doesn't close with the no go gauge, and cycles fine with an empty chamber.

And heres the kicker. If I force the bolt shut->pull the bolt handle up-> pull the bolt back while using my finger to hold the case in place in the bolt face-> close the bolt while still guiding the case into the chamber(to clarify, the case is still in the bolt face and locked into the extractor but I'm preventing it from ejecting)-> and go to close the bolt, theres no snag. It works like it should.

Any thoughts?

foxx
02-12-2015, 11:30 PM
My initial thought is don't judge anything by the snap caps. Load it up and fire it. See how it handles real cases and then check back.

olddav
02-12-2015, 11:36 PM
I have never disassembled a bolt before but this sounds like an extractor issue to me. Can you post pics of the bolt head assembly?

pepper savage 111
02-12-2015, 11:41 PM
foxx- I've tried multiple spent and new(empty) cases with the same result.

olddav- I can post pics in the morning. But nothing had changed of the boltface or the bolt. the entire bolt is stock.

Robinhood
02-12-2015, 11:48 PM
I agree with olddav. Make sure the extractor and even the ejector are functioning.

The Savage Faq section has a couple of articles to look at.

Arky 223
02-13-2015, 04:18 PM
Sounds like your extractor is a tad long.

snowgetter1
02-13-2015, 08:09 PM
Could the headspace changed after you tightened the barrel nut? Sometimes the barrel will crank down with the nut and tighten the headspace.