PDA

View Full Version : Bolt lift mod

Bolt gunner
02-12-2015, 09:57 PM
Has anyone done the bolt lift mod? If so was it the homemade version I read about or the store bought one? Also how well did it help?

foxx
02-12-2015, 11:25 PM
I just got a used action with the homemade version. It had been T&T'ed by SSS already. It's awesome, but the original owner said he did not see much difference after doing it. From what I've read it just depends on the rifle. Sometimes it's fixing a problem that isn't there to begin with. SOmetimes it is a problem. Certainly can't hurt anything to try it. be sure to shorten the BAS a bit or the gain in reduced friction will be negated by increased spring tension.

jesse_l_b
02-14-2015, 09:13 AM
What bolt lift mod are you talking about?

Robinhood
02-14-2015, 05:37 PM
The cocking ramp mod done by SharpShooter Supply is the only truly effective bolt lift modification there is. If you adjust your spring travel, polish the ramp and install a quality lift kit you can see some improvement but you really need to know what you are doing. You can effect lock time/ firing pin velocity if you don't. It would be great if all savage bolts where machined like Fred's shop does it.