PDA

View Full Version : Since the Axis has the Accutrigger why not?

Pages : 1 [2]

Berserker
02-13-2015, 10:37 PM
Most of the stores carry package rifles. I am a bit of scope snob and would rather put the $50 on a better scope. The one that came with my 116, I put on my 1022. Not much vibration, and I am not hunting trophies with it. Mounted it, but never used it yet.

I see why they sell, there are just fine. You don't have to make any choices and are ready to shoot.

Berserker
02-14-2015, 09:29 PM
Not sure what I am going to get, but I think whatever it is I will order from Bud's. It is fun at first driving around and handling guns. But after chasing lowest price, and who has what in inventory, I am just going to order it and get the one I want, not what is there.

I wonder how Cabelas has grown so big with their prices. But guns are one of this things you can't buy just anywhere.

Berserker
02-24-2015, 08:47 PM
Got Savage 11 predator model in 243 tonight. I got this one cause I wanted a heavier barrel, cause probably punch more paper then coyotes. I thought about cheaper model, but by the time you add a heavier barrel, I figured just buy this. I have wanted to do a build, but I also wanted to get out hunting.

Savage's websites sucks. Doesn't have the gun weight 8.75, NA, or even tell you it has medium contour barrel. Odd thing the display model had a jeweled bolt. The new one in the box had a finish, and was not as smooth. I took the display model.

If I shoot it enought, I will look into buying to much scope. Would like a VX-3 4x14x50. Published hunting hours are a suggestion.

Savage has $50 mail in rebate.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11TrophyPredatorHunterMossyOak

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Savage174-Arms-Model-11-Trophy-Predator-Hunter-XP-Mossy-Oak174-Brush174-Bolt-Action-Rifle-with-Nikon-3-9x40-Scope-Combo/1813456.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dsavage%2Brifle%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l% 3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=savage+rifle&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Hotolds442
02-24-2015, 09:30 PM
My 10 Predator Hunter in 243AI is the most accurate rifle in my posession currently, shooting .25 MOA groups with about 1600 documented rounds on the factory barrel. It's also in Mossy Oak, but has the black bolt body from the factory and the detachable mag. It wears an old Redfield 4-12 5star scope on Leupold rings and bases. I don't expect it'll hold that title for long though, once I get the 6x55BR and 6.5 WSM loads worked up it should have some competition.

Berserker
02-24-2015, 10:47 PM
Not sure why the display model has jeweled bolt. Should look up serial number to see how old it is.

Not sure about nikon scope with BDC and open circle instead of cross hair.

Seems most of savages guns are package gun unless you get expensive models. I would have liked to save money for better scope.

Twinsen
02-25-2015, 06:33 AM
Sell the scope.

Berserker
02-25-2015, 09:29 AM
I am not much for selling stuff, cause I hate to deal with people. Not really sure what it is even worth. My other savage I never fired it with the scope, Simmons, I put a Leupold on it. I put that on my .22 figuring low recoil might be good for that scope. Just bore sighted it last night, so I don't know if it will be good for that.

Berserker
02-26-2015, 10:50 PM
I put Wheeler levels on the gun and scope, and it was way off. Thought I am not 100% sure sticking the level through the area above magazine is best place. I did compare to plum bob. When I lined the cross hairs to plum bob, the level was level. So I tend to think it is close know. Probably closer then I will need.

Someday I'd like to draw a vertical line on target and then adjust dial with gun locked in. Again probably over kill for the ranges I am currently shooting at. But I bough the gun to play with loads and try to be more accurate of shooter.

I am not excited about the way the magazine locks in. Magazines are nice for unloading to be legal. But then you have to worry about forgetting it or failing. But with a bolt you always got one shot.

Boudin
02-27-2015, 01:02 PM
You made a good choice. The gun you bought will shoot fine like it is, or you can build it into anything you want with just about unlimited aftermarket parts. The axis always felt cheap to me, although there is no denying that most of them are shooters.

Berserker
03-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Not a popular thing to say here. But savages are cheap guns. 2 failures to feed out of 37. That is ridiculous for a bolt. One cock eyed and one passed over. The ftf were the last 5. Wonder if it is getting worse.

Just for target and maybe a coyote so I can live with my choice.

My 116 ftf 25% of the time. I consider that junk
That is 30-06 for deer and bear so I care. Can't sell it like that in good faith.

An unloaded gun useless. Never had a failure with 700. Pretty hard to get 1 MOA with empty gun.

I realize people probably think I am prick.

Berserker
03-01-2015, 03:00 PM
116 is blind magazine. It is just junk. I had ear plugs in. Am I not pushing hard enough? Both failures today were on 2nd shot.

Do they make aftermarket magazines that are better? Sure doesn't look like that little tab would hold up. Should have a spare