PDA

View Full Version : double set trigger for 110 30-06

dey59
02-11-2015, 11:00 PM
hello everyone I just bought two savages this week. a 22lr sporter that needs a clip and a 110 in 30-06 with a pristine barrel. I want to build this nice, pillar bedding free-float the barrel. it has a standard trigger. does anyone know if you can get double set triggers for this. I always wanted double set triggers and this would be great. I want the one that the front trigger can be used as a regular trigger or use the rear trigger to set the front trigger as a hair trigger. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

handirifle
02-12-2015, 02:38 AM
I'm not sure if anyone make DS triggers for Savage rifles, hopefully some one that know will chime in for ya. Interesting concept though.

Fotheringill
02-12-2015, 12:04 PM
I would make a quick call to New England Custom Gun. They import the double set triggers for Mausers and might be the best people to guide you straight. Otherwise, call Brownell and ask to speak with a live gunsmith. They have about half a dozen who will be able to discuss the same.

The double set trigger is astounding. I am working on a replacement one for a Mauser and the front pulls with the lightest of touches.

dey59
02-12-2015, 05:31 PM
thanks guys i'll give them both a call I just got back from the gun shop and was checking out a falling block with double set triggers WOW! now I want one more than ever. I can't beleave these never caught on.

dey59
02-12-2015, 05:43 PM
well stuck out with both of them. i'll keep looking, theres a couple of gun shows at the end of the month i'll try that . thanks again

Mach2
02-12-2015, 08:37 PM
thanks guys i'll give them both a call I just got back from the gun shop and was checking out a falling block with double set triggers WOW! now I want one more than ever. I can't beleave these never caught on.

They are a Euro design from the 1800s that enable the hunter to have a light and safe trigger. Even there though the double sets in Euro are not typical anymore. Basically a Savage Accutrigger is a double set trigger all in one.
I think the twin triggers are around $200 and up. They look so nice on Sporter Mausers I'd probably put one on a Mauser before a Savage.
They are old tech in that you have to pull two triggers before you can fire once. Some people like retro though. Look how many black powder shooters we have today.
Post some pics if you ever build a double set Savage. Everybody else will want one. No doubt there will be a section in here developed just for the double set Savage crowd. Savage will have to develope a twin set 110 model and it will all be your fault.

dey59
02-12-2015, 09:02 PM
from your mouth to gods ear. I love savage so i'll keep looking. there was also a dst made for the 1903 springfield from what I've found so far. and as far as retro ,that's just regular stuff to me

sharpshooter
02-13-2015, 08:55 PM
A double set trigger will not work on a Savage, for the same reason it will not work on a Remington,Winchester, Ruger and other modern centerfire rifles. The only reason they work on a Mauser is the type of trigger set up used to begin with. The Mauser and Springfield were engineered with a fulcrum/lever type trigger. All of the above stated uses an "over-ride trigger". The Winchester model 70 was the first to use an over ride style trigger, and after that every other manufacture incorporated that style into their designs.
On the "fulcrum/lever style triggers, the sear is what holds back the cocking piece...all by itself. The trigger is merely a lever that pries the sear away from the cocking piece. A double set trigger is no more than another spring loaded hammer that slaps the sear off the cocking piece. The rear trigger cocks the hammer, the front trigger releases it.

An over ride trigger relies on the trigger itself being in place to support the sear, which in turn is holding back the cocking piece. On a Canjar single set trigger, the shoe itself acts as the hammer, and by spring loading it forward, when tripped, the inertia slaps the trigger off. The only problem with this is the trigger pull must be light enough the shoe has enough energy to trip the engagement to start with.

Double set triggers were a viable option on hammer guns at the time, given the design.

dey59
02-13-2015, 10:44 PM
thanks sharpshooter that explains why there's nothing out there.

dey59
02-14-2015, 11:55 PM
hey sharpshooter was digging through my books and ran across a book called bolt action rifles, by frank de has. copyright 1971. on page 264. savage was U.S. distributor for certain models of rifles produced by J.G. anschutz GmbH in ulm/donau west Germany. mostly 22. match. anschutz makes a "continental" type of sporting rifle based on the American-made savage 110 action: these are listed in the waffen-frankonia catalog(a large german sporting goods outlet and manufacturer in wuerrzburg) as the Anschutz-savage repeating rifle. made for the European sportsman, it has the regular long right-hand 110 action, but fitted with a german-styled stock and double set triggers. Anschutz used only the 110 action, substituting their well made double set trigger mechanism and trigger guard for the same parts made by savage. I don't know if any part over this company survives but according to this there are double set triggers out there somewhere for a savage 110.

dey59
02-15-2015, 12:27 AM
found Anschutz north America.com located trussville al. 7661 commerce ln. po box 129 35173 phone 205-655-7500. going to call Monday, cross your fingers and toes

Mach2
02-15-2015, 02:14 AM
http://www.gunsamerica.com/998403891/SAVAGE-ANSCHUTZ-Model-54-SPORTER-with-SCOPE.htm

This is a Annie-Savage double set design.

sharpshooter
02-16-2015, 01:50 AM
If it was made for the european market that would explain why nobody has ever seen one. The only centerfires that Anschutz made were either 22 Hornet or .222 Rem. using their own components. It would be interesting to see how Anschutz adapted a double set trigger to work, and I'll bet there are not many of these out there.

dey59
02-16-2015, 06:10 PM
well got ahold of them she gave me a number I called it they con firm they where made on the savage 110 action but have been out of production for 20 years. they where imported to America, I guess on an individual basis. so keep an eye open there out there but I bet they'll be harder to find than a unicorn in a patch of 4 leaf clover. but if you could get your hands on one I bet it could be fabricated. good hunting. if anyone wants the no. for this fellow let me know or just call Anschutz and ask for a double set trigger for a 110 they were both very pleasant and helpful.