PDA

View Full Version : Weird 110 action/receiver

flyingfrog509
02-10-2015, 03:47 PM
I bought a Savage 110 30-06 a few days ago and I noticed that it isn't like any of my other Savages. I have an accu-trigger round receiver and two other flat back receivers with the old triggers in them.

HOWEVER...This one has a round receiver, an old trigger, (not sure on the mag yet) and...wait for it...a "notch" cut into the chamber side of the receiver. Just trying to see if this gun is anything special or anything bad before I go making it into a project.

Fairly new here, tried to see if I could find anything on this and apparently my google-foo isn't very good. I'm also going to have to figure out how to upload pictures. GOT THE PICTURES LOADED DOWN BELOW!

olddav
02-10-2015, 04:08 PM
Just looks like a old flat back 110. Picture of trigger?

Yep slowing down with age, I'm thinking someone milled the receiver for loading a mag round or maybe just a longer one.
Can't wait to see what others think.

Hotolds442
02-10-2015, 04:10 PM
Does the bolt look anything like the top one in post #3 here?: http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?42103-early-recessed-bolt-head-switch-to-new-bolt-head

If so, it's just an early manufacture date Model 110.

olddav
02-10-2015, 04:13 PM
What is the spacing on the action screws?

J.Baker
02-10-2015, 04:40 PM
Here's the pic so everyone can see without going to the link...

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/attachments/savage110withcutout-jpg.361477/

What you've got there likely started out as a mid to late 00's package gun. That would explain the round-top action and standard trigger as Savage didn't put the AccuTrigger on certain package guns for several years after it's introduction. As for the loading port being elongated, that's not factory and as olddav said its likely someone opened it up to be able to eject a longer loaded round.

flyingfrog509
02-10-2015, 09:41 PM
OK, so I'm able to put some pictures up where I can link to them to show you all the rest of the story. The original picture J.Baker brought over was another gun I found on the web that matched mine. So at least there are two of these in the world. Took the gun apart and more questions come up...

1) Never seen scope mounts with out screws...any one else know how that works? Doesn't feel like there are any threads going through either, all smooth where they come through on my daughters rifle. (can see on one of the pictures)

2) The bolt shroud doesn't match up with the round receiver (parts bin build from Savage?)

3) The action screws appear to be short action at 4.9 inches give or take (or at least a bit closer together than either of my other long actions that measure 5.08ish)

4) The mag is exactly the same size as my other two long actions at 3.43 inside (compared to 25-06 & 270 and the same)

5) The bolt handle is one I've never seen before either.

6) Bolt seems to be a newer.

7) My other two long actions (one accu-trigger one flat top) are about 3.803" opening. So the cut is a bit more than a standard long action and the uncut is almost a half inch smaller than a standard long action.

The great mystery gets better. Hope this helps the savage guru(s) help me out a bit. Had one guy over on ODT thought it might have been a magnum RUM action...but I know nothing about said RUM actions.

http://www.4h.thomastribune.com/4Hpictures/misc/SavageWeird_ActionOffGunMeasurements.jpg

http://www.4h.thomastribune.com/4Hpictures/misc/SavageWeird_ScopeOff.jpg

J.Baker
02-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Well, we know Savage experimented with a cast action with integral Weaver-style bases in 1988 or 89 so it's looking like you may have one of those. I'm sure Fred will chime in eventually and put an end to the mystery. What's the serial number?

flyingfrog509
02-10-2015, 10:28 PM
Serial Number: F062439

So if those are cast into the action...is that a good thing or not so much? More importantly is this one of the guns that shouldn't be used as a project build? Don't want to be ripping apart history when I can just use a run of the mill Savage for a project.

http://www.4h.thomastribune.com/4Hpictures/misc/SavageWeird_Serial.jpg

Hotolds442
02-10-2015, 10:36 PM
When I first clicked on the link you provided, I saw about an eighth of the picture that Jim posted. My comments were based on what I saw. Now that I can see the whole picture, it does seem to be a rather odd specimen. The rifle in the second picture seems to have the same bases on it also, what are the chances of that unless, like Jim mentioned, they're cast as part of the receiver. Yours appears to have a keyed bolt body, and your magazine is ribbed right about where the shoulder resides on the RUM cartridge. I have an identical bolt handle that I removed from a 30/06.

BillPa
02-10-2015, 10:43 PM
Here's another
http://i42.tinypic.com/sy9i0z.jpg

By the S/N someone on here said it was made in 1988. The bases are soldered on, the receiver wasn't drill-tapped for screws. I eventually swapped the original '06 barrel for a 280 then sold it.

Bill

Robinhood
02-10-2015, 10:47 PM
Looks like a roughing mill tool mark in that notch....? Could the bases be the soldered on type?

Didn't see bills post, my coments were about the OP's rifle.

dey59
02-13-2015, 11:16 PM
I just bought one of these things was going to put iron sights on it but I doubt I can see over these junk mounts. I love savage but this is junk

flyingfrog509
02-13-2015, 11:35 PM
So I'm wondering if it is worth while to remove the factory mounts and tap it for normal mounts OR just leave this one as a hunting rifle instead of trying to build it into a range gun?

Blitzfike
02-15-2015, 07:50 PM
I have the same receiver that came as a 111 in 30-06. It has the same milled section on the right side of the receiver and has the cast scope bases. I bought it to build a 458 win mag on, did it and then converted it to one of Dean's 50 Thumpers. It has done a great job in all three iterations. My serial number is not found in the parts finder data base, and it has a rough finish from the casting. My serial Number is in the F449XXX range. I'd take another of these in a minute if I could find it at the right price.

Ralfus
02-16-2015, 12:52 AM
A friend was given one of those 88 vintage rifles as a gift. The scope bases were way out of alignment. Folks that buy $6 scope rings to mount $40 hunting scopes probably wouldn't ever notice but he dumped it for something else.