PDA

View Full Version : new here, long time savage owner/operator, have dilemna

graewolf
02-10-2015, 03:13 PM
My first rifle ever was a Savage bvss112 22-250 purchased back in the early 90's - still have it and love it. I also have a custom(ish) Savage 300wsm - and my dilemna is this rifle is a single shot action (with a Hart 30" barrel, Savage competition recoil lug and Savage competition trigger). I shoot competitions with a 6.5creedmoor and wouldnt mind making this a backup, or I'd really like to have a rifle for my wife to shoot with me. Having a repeating action is just about a necessity. So, I have listed it for sale in a few places and any interest ceases when they find out either 1. it is a single shot or 2. that the match chamber requires neck turning. So, I really like this rifle AND the 300wsm round in general and I want to change the action and put in a DBM. I'm also going to have my gunsmith run a SAAMI spec reamer in the chamber...I do not like neck turning brass either.

The action is a 4.26" short action with .540 (wsm) bolt face. I dont really need a new bolt, but if actions/bolts are 'matched sets' then I'd need the whole set.

Is there somewhere anyone knows of that will trade a used action for what I need? Or, any other suggestions to get me to my end point? I'm tired of trying to list it for sale and I didnt really want to get rid of it (other than for the reasons most people dont want to buy it currently). The single feed was fine for an occasional BR match, but I can still shoot the 1 or 2 local BR matches I might go to a year with a DBM. I'd like to keep it, but it needs to be a more multi-function rifle if I do.

thanks

Hotolds442
02-10-2015, 03:25 PM
You shouldn't have too much trouble trading your Target Action for a DBM capable action. Make sure the bolt spacing is correct or you'll be needing another stock, too. Parting the rifle out and starting over would be your best bet. The proceeds you'd generate on the sale of the individual parts will buy a good top-end Savage rifle that wouldn't need much to be competitive.

J.Baker
02-10-2015, 05:11 PM
I'm guessing it's not a Target action, but rather a standard single-shot action - the 4.275" screw spacing is a dead give-away as all Target Actions have the 3.40 or 4.40" spacing depending on when they were made.

Hotolds442
02-10-2015, 05:20 PM
I totally missed the reference to the action length he had in the post.

graewolf
02-12-2015, 02:17 AM
You shouldn't have too much trouble trading your Target Action for a DBM capable action. Make sure the bolt spacing is correct or you'll be needing another stock, too. Parting the rifle out and starting over would be your best bet. The proceeds you'd generate on the sale of the individual parts will buy a good top-end Savage rifle that wouldn't need much to be competitive.

Is there somewhere anyone knows of that will trade a used action for what I need?