PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone tell me what I just purchased?

azeyecap
05-06-2010, 03:25 PM
A guy in town was advertising this as some sort of 10FP with a factory shortened barrel and fluting. It basically new, I can't even find any scratches on the stock. I got it for 600 bucks with the Warne Base, considering that I have been looking at 700 bucks for a 10pc i think I did OK even though I don't have the accustock. There is nothing like this on Savage.com. It's a .308, heavy barrel, accutrigger, non-accustock, 20in, fluting, big bolt handle, detachable box mag, and it has the new smooth barrel nut thingy. Does anyone know where this came from? I was thinking that maybe Savage did a special run or maybe this was sold through a specific outlet? I guess I can call Savage and tell them the serial number, but I figured I could ask here first. I have a savage 7mm that I like a lot and I am really excited to put some more rounds down range with this, my first time out with it was OK and with lousy ammo it was doing 1 inch groups in really windy conditions. The stock sucks and I want to replace it with something in the future, I think its center feed and I gather I need to measure the distance between the screws to know for sure what will fit it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48766578@N04/4583606172/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48766578@N04/4582972645/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48766578@N04/4583603094/

Thanks for your help
casey

Danley
05-06-2010, 03:48 PM
I`m thinking that its a Dicks Sporting Goods exclusive. Seen one local here that looks just as yours does but for some reason i was thinking it had a 22" barrel (i could very easily be wrong on that). I think the price was $699 or $799 ... can`t remember. At any rate you did good for the price. Let us know how it shoots!

Uncle Jack
05-06-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm not sure just what it is but, if you see one in left hand, call me.

uj

pdog06
05-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Yeah, that is indeed a form of a 10fp. It is mainly an FCP with a 20' barrel. Coulda been a special run by a retailer, or a special order out of the custom shop with the shorter barrel. And it is definately a centerfeed also, no need to measure the screws as it has the bolt release on the bottom instead of on the side like they used to be, and they only did that after they released the centerfeed system.

I really like the shortened fluted barrel. Like it alot better than the 24" barrel, or the one with the brake on it.

Id say you did pretty good, especially since the scope base alone costs $75.

Like UJ said, if you find another let us know. Lefty for him, Righty for me...LOL

Snakum
05-06-2010, 07:28 PM
I'd jump all over that. As said ... looks like a shortened FCP. Me likee. :-*

rjtfroggy
05-06-2010, 10:01 PM
I don't know if this will help but I have 3 rifles that the serial numbers start with F and they were from the mid 90's, non accutrigger.
I have 6 now starting with a G and they are all from 06 till now, all of these have accutriggers.
The barrel looks like what is on the varmint models but put on a law enforcement model 10.

atti_mac
05-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Well exactly looks like a short barrel 10 FP in the walmart for $385 with scope. I just saw it yesterday.

pdog06
05-07-2010, 12:05 AM
If you saw it for 385 then it is priced VERY wrong, and you'd better buy it or tell us where it is at>>>LOL

atti_mac
05-07-2010, 12:16 AM
I live in Houston, Tx. The savage 10FXP in our Walmart is $385 It is on sale. She has a short 20" non heavy barrel, with accutrigger , w scope. the X means : package

firemachine69
05-07-2010, 01:16 AM
I'm not sure just what it is but, if you see one in left hand, call me.

uj

Sorry partner, the only lefty we got is the full-blown 10FLCP-K.

Though one should be able to sell the parts for a sum greater than purchase price, if you think about it... ;)

pdog06
05-07-2010, 07:01 AM
I live in Houston, Tx. The savage 10FXP in our Walmart is $385 It is on sale. She has a short 20" non heavy barrel, with accutrigger , w scope. the X means : package

That one is a bit different from this one. The 10fxp you saw should be a 22" sporter barrel(compared to this 20" varmint contour/deep fluted barrel) and also have a dull blued finish(compared to this matte black parkerized finish). The fxp you saw also doesnt have a DBM, a $75 scope base, or the lightweight accutrigger, and the scope that is on it is pretty much worthless.

There is actually a $250 price difference between his model and the one you saw in Wallyworld, so they arent anywheres close to "exactly" the same. I think I see your point though. If you just want a 308 then the one you mentioned is a better bargain, but if you want this specific type with these options, then it is a decent deal for $600.

BrentWin
05-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Savage should make that a "standard" in thier line. It is an answer to the Remington LTR which is popular with the tacticool crowd.

I would rather have that rifle than the Precision Carbine.

Tch2fly
05-07-2010, 08:58 AM
x2 on a special model for Dick's Sporting Goods. They called it a "10 FCPXP" , my local store was selling it for $699 with a tasco scope and cheap 2-piece base, I'd say you got a good deal.

azeyecap
05-08-2010, 02:08 AM
OP here,

Thanks very much for your input everyone. I'm glad that most think I got a decent deal. April turned out to be a three gun month (PSL, G26, Savage) and I don't think i would be able to take knowing I got the bad half of a deal on this gun in a month of poor self control. I shot another 50 rounds today in the new-to-me Savage and I was very happy with how it performed. I got two five shot groups under .8 inches at 100 yards, and had no issues hitting metal plates at 200, 300 and 400 yards. My SS 3-9x scope has continued to impress. The SS has been living on my Savage 7mm (beats the hell out of me) and my AR10, I think it will stay on my new 308 for a long time.

I think this summer I will upgrade from the factory plastic to something nicer. My searching has turned up that B&C doesn't make a stock for a center feed DBM 10 series, my friend hates his Choate so as far as I can tell my only other options are Stockade or H&S. I don't want wood, is there any manufacturer I am missing? (McMillan is too pricey for me)