PDA

View Full Version : Help please

jghuwe
02-10-2015, 02:09 AM
I have a savage 12fv that was chambered in 204 ruger. I have swapped the bbl to a 22-250 and changed the bolt face to the 22-250/308 family. Tonight I wrestled the new hidden mag and follower into place. Head space is correct. If I seat a round on the bolt face and close the bolt all is well. If the bolt picks around out of the mag, it does not seat on the bolt face and the bolt won't close. Please help! [emoji53]

DrThunder88
02-10-2015, 05:23 AM
Can you hear or feel the extractor pop into the groove? Does the same thing happen when you drop the round directly into the chamber?

I feel compelled to say this sort of testing should be done with a dummy round, but you're a grown up. I'm sure you know what is and isn't safe.

Robinhood
02-10-2015, 06:01 AM
Since this is a "conversion" and the magazine was changed, what cartridge is stamped on the side of the mag? I have never owned a 22-250 but I thought that the 22-250 magazine was different than the 308 based cartridges. I would think the feed lips would be longer for the 22-250. As DR Thunder mentioned, be safe keep it on the middle position and check it before playing with the live round..

Scalian
02-15-2015, 12:47 AM
When you changed the bolt face did you use the extractor from the 223 size face. They are longer than the 308 ones and will hit and not be able to go over the rim of the cartridge. To slip over the rim the exractor would have to slide out past the bolt head if that makes sense. Just an idea as i ran into this one time.

jghuwe
02-15-2015, 12:54 AM
Thanks guys. Called savage and they helped me out. Have all the parts now. They sold me a package for 15$. New extractor, ejector springs and bearings. Yes have only been using a dummy round. Once the new parts are in should be good.