PDA

View Full Version : Older 110 questions

3darcher2
02-09-2015, 09:31 PM
So I recently told my dad about my new Savage affliction and he mentioned he still had a LH 30-06 110 that he had gotten in an estate buy about 20 years ago. He asked if I wanted it. I thought he had sold it 10 years ago.

When I went to look at it, I noticed that the S/N was 21XXX with no letters. Then I spun it around and the model (110L) was on the back of the receiver instead of the barrel.

So from what I see this is maybe a 1958 or 1959 model. Is there any particular reason to shy away from doing a build on this rifle? The stock has been refinished and the barrel has sights with the ring at the rear sight location and corresponding inletting in the stock. The stock seems to have a slimmer cut to it than my newer 110.

I don't want to "ruin" and original nor do I want to run up against a first year type problem if such a thing exists.

olddav
02-09-2015, 09:40 PM
I have read here that there are a couple of differences between the modern Savage rifle and the early models. The bolt head and trigger are the first two that come to mind. I'm sure a more educated member will happen along and will have more complete info they can provide you with.

Mach2
02-09-2015, 09:46 PM
You have one of the very oldest 110s Savage ever made. Go shoot it. Test it for accuracy. Weigh the trigger pull. Test the trigger and see how it compares to your newer Savage. Find out everything there is about how Savage made their first 110s before you even think about what to do with it. Most of us in here will never even see an early 110 much less study one first hand.

Come back and give us a lesson in Savage ancient history.

Hotolds442
02-09-2015, 09:53 PM
The bolt head recesses into the barrel on the earlier Savages, which makes barrel swapping a little more difficult. It can be done, it's just more work.
The value of that particular rifle is in its original configuration and condition and the fact that it once was your dad's.
That may not mean much today, but later in life it may. I wouldn't mess with it myself.

3darcher2
02-09-2015, 10:11 PM
The gun was part of a deal where he got four guns from a widow of the original owner. It has not been fired since my dad picked it up in the 90s. And it is a lefty which makes it somewhat even more rare I would think for its age. It does have some very minor freckling as well as having the refinished stock, but it is in pretty decent shape.

I think I will just put it on the back burner for now and then maybe shoot it a little to get a feel for it.

Mach2
02-09-2015, 10:21 PM
Because deer rifles with the thin sporter barrels are not fired very much it has never been a concern to me if a rifle was left or right handed.

Measure the trigger pull.

I'd love to see a pic of the trigger group with the stock off.

Does it have a plastic trigger guard or metal?

J.Baker
02-10-2015, 12:02 AM
IMO it's really not worth trying to do a build on these earlier guns due to the additional cost involved.

1. Trigger assembly is totally different than the later guns. You can swap in an aftermarket 110 trigger, but you'll have to change the trigger bracket and some other bits to do so.
2. Since the trigger assemblies on these older guns were shorter in height, aftermarket stocks won't work with them unless you swap out the trigger to the newer style or an aftermarket.
3. The early models used a shrouded bolt head that recessed into the breech of the barrel, thus to use any newer take-off or aftermarket pre-fit barrels you would need to replace the bolt assembly with the newer style. You can't simply change the bolt head as Savage rotated the bolt head retaining pin 90-degrees on the bolt body when they went to the newer style.

Considering you'd have probably $150 or so in a complete bolt and another $50-120 in the necessary trigger parts to be able to facilitate a barrel and stock swap you're better off just going out and getting a new Axis or a newer used 110.

jonbearman
02-10-2015, 03:26 AM
If you cant post some pics of it there are those of us that could do it for you. I would love to see a pic of that rifle just for knowledge. You could find plenty of parts right on here to build off of for reasonable prices. That way you could leave the collector rifle alone. Don't forget to clean it up good with 4 ought steel wool and oil to control the freckling. I have never seen an early model in my life and have been in the game for 40 years.

LHitchcox
02-10-2015, 12:28 PM
The early models are usually great shooters like most all Savages, but if you buy that rifle buy it knowing that it is too difficult to barrel swap with. The barrel has an enlarged section where the rear sight is dovetailed, so current stocks won't fit without a lot of effort. The trigger does not interchange with the newer triggers and it is more difficult to get a light pull. The bolt head recesses into the barrel like the Remington 700. The bottom line is to not buy one of the first generation rifles with the desire to convert it, but if you like it for what it is go for it. I have one that was rebarreled to .25-06 before I got it. I am happy with it as is.

stomp442
02-10-2015, 01:53 PM
I just recently worked on one of these myself for a friends sister who picked up an old 110L from someone that was in pretty great condition other than a few minor nicks in the stock. Apparently she is an avid elk hunter and wanted a long range elk cartridge without a lot of kick. The rifle was originally a .30-06 so we wanted to stay with a cartridge based on that parent case. We opted for the 6.5-06 Ackley improved. Ordered a Shilen #4 26" blank from midway and installed a harrels precision muzzle brake. Like posted above the barrel has a recess much like a Remington so standard prefit barrels don't work but since we were working from the ground up anyways it worked out. The trigger was easily adjusted down to 3lbs by simply adjusting the sear engagement screw. It could probably be tuned much lighter if you polished everything.

3darcher2
02-10-2015, 06:18 PM
I'll post some pics eventually, just haven't had time yet. Hopefully soon. My thinking is this is a "don't touch" gun for now.

LHitchcox
02-11-2015, 09:45 AM
Don't touch as in don't modify, but shoot it the way it is.

3darcher2
02-11-2015, 06:35 PM
Don't touch as in don't modify, but shoot it the way it is.

Yes, that's the plan. Not gonna be a safe queen.

Fireball
02-12-2015, 11:37 AM
I've got three of these old 110's and I love em. I've tried lots of bolt action rifles but these just feel great, and the one I've fred shot well. The 243 shoots .4" with Nosler Partitions. I haven't fired the 270 or 22-250 yet, but I know they'll shoot great when I'm ready.

Speaking to getting a different donor, yeah. I saw a 110 in 270 for $195 a couple days ago. That's what you should be building from, not the vintage iron.

3darcher2
02-12-2015, 06:47 PM
I've got three of these old 110's and I love em. I've tried lots of bolt action rifles but these just feel great, and the one I've fred shot well. The 243 shoots .4" with Nosler Partitions. I haven't fired the 270 or 22-250 yet, but I know they'll shoot great when I'm ready.

Speaking to getting a different donor, yeah. I saw a 110 in 270 for $195 a couple days ago. That's what you should be building from, not the vintage iron.

Those $195 110s in LH are in pretty short supply around these parts. But I'll keep looking. :cool: