PDA

View Full Version : B&C Medalist Varmint/Tactical Stock

Pages : 1 [2]

wingspar
03-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Lookin Good

Thank you. :smile-new:

Is that tang floated ? :-)

No, but I can see why it might look like it in the photo. I was able to slide a 0.001 feeler gauge under the tang in the rear to about the middle of the red dot. The gauge will not fit under any other part of the tang, which is snug against the stock. That little gap shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

wingspar
03-03-2015, 02:04 AM
I put a few rounds thru the gun today with the new B&C stock. The extra weight did not reduce recoil at all. It was late, and getting dark, so only shot out to 25 yards. About a 0.7" group. Failing light, 68 year old eyes and iron sights. I was ok with that. Tomorrow my Nikon M-308 4-16x42 arrives along with rings and bases. Later on this week, I hope to get it sighted in.

On the tang. I read where someone was glass bedding his action and taking great pains to free float his tang. Is that because of the glass bedding? Should my tang be free floating??

FW Conch
03-03-2015, 10:49 AM
The general consensus is, you should be able to get a sheet of paper between the tang and the stock. This is to prevent binding pressure at this point. If touching, this stock area can be relieved with sand paper.

Good Luck ... Good Shooting ... Jim :-)

wingspar
03-06-2015, 09:17 PM
The general consensus is, you should be able to get a sheet of paper between the tang and the stock. This is to prevent binding pressure at this point. If touching, this stock area can be relieved with sand paper.

Good Luck ... Good Shooting ... Jim :-)

Thank you for your help. Without it, I never would have known that the tang should be free floating. I put it back in the factory stock just to see if it was free floating in the factory stock and it was. I installed a stock once back in 1973, so this was like never having done it before. It took almost 30 minutes of careful Dremel work, but the tang is now free floating. Thank you again. :smile-new:

I got the scope mounted today, and bore sighted in the back yard. I’d hoped to get it out to the range today also, but getting the scope mounted took much longer than anticipated. Much longer. Won’t go into detail, but here is a couple of quick and dirty photos. You can see in the first photo that the only way to get the front lens cover off and on is to remove the scope as it just barely clears the front iron sight. It looks like I might have to live with that. Fortunately, I used QD rings, so it will be easy to do, but a pain in the rear. I may have to start another thread on that problem as I’m sure other Hog Hunter owners have had similar problems.

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/159360928/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/159360930/original.jpg