PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Fit Accuracy vs. Normally Prepared Blank...

Ernie B
02-08-2015, 12:26 PM
I have a new Savage Mod. 12 F/TR in .308 that I would also like to be able to use in F-Open as well as some 600-yard bench shooting also. However, with all the options that seem to be out there for the Savage, I find myself in a quandary as to which way to go with this project.

My questions are as follows... (1), Will a pre-fit / drop-in barrel that's already chambered, threaded and such shoot good enough to be competitive out to 600-yards at the bench or in F-Open, and, (2), how close with the pre-fit compare, accuracy-wise, to a high-quality blank that is chambered, fitted, etc. by a competent gunsmith, (ie: the 'normal' way??) I would really appreciate your thoughts, ideas and suggestions regarding this project.

Ernie

earl39
02-08-2015, 12:34 PM
How the barrel is machined is much more important than when the chamber is reamed.

kkeene
02-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Both are machined and chambered the same way, should be no difference in accuracy. There will be some differences in the quality of the barrel blank itself, but those are also available in the pre-fits or via custom gunsmith.