PDA

View Full Version : 16 FCSAK - Info?

3darcher2
02-08-2015, 01:36 AM
I recently ran across a Model 16 FCSAK in .308 Winchester. Curious as to any info on this model, which according to what I've found, was made only in 2005. Wondered why it was made only for one year.

This model is a stainless Accutrigger detachable mag synthetic stock with a heavier (varmint contour?) fluted 22" barrel with the muzzlebrake that can be turned on and off.

Seems like it has a lot of good features, I wondered if there was some sort of problem with it or if it was just not popular. It seemed a little heavy compared to my regular Model 11. Price was $500 firm with a throw away Barska on it.

Thoughts/info/experience?

Hotolds442
02-08-2015, 01:58 AM
I have a 116 FLSAK in 300 WM that I bought new somewhere around 2009. I paid $405 for it new. It has the same barrel contour, fluting, and brake as yours, left handed. It's also a very accurate rifle straight out of the box. It was designed as a low cost alternative to the Remington Sendero. I believe yours was catalogued in more than 2005 though. I stand mine up by the barrel about once a year and let it soak in a bottle of kroil to keep any carbon buildup from making the brake inoperable. Early hinged floorplate models were notorious for popping open at the most inopportune time, those are the two issues I'm aware of with the earlier Weather Warriors.

3darcher2
02-08-2015, 04:20 PM
I have a 116 FLSAK in 300 WM that I bought new somewhere around 2009. I paid $405 for it new. It has the same barrel contour, fluting, and brake as yours, left handed. It's also a very accurate rifle straight out of the box. It was designed as a low cost alternative to the Remington Sendero. I believe yours was catalogued in more than 2005 though. I stand mine up by the barrel about once a year and let it soak in a bottle of kroil to keep any carbon buildup from making the brake inoperable. Early hinged floorplate models were notorious for popping open at the most inopportune time, those are the two issues I'm aware of with the earlier Weather Warriors.

Thanks 442, I seached online and found some gun digest/price type excerpts that said production was 2005 only, but I know those can be wrong. I haven't seen too many of them out there in my searches. I went ahead and picked it up. I was really looking to do a barrel swap but didn't realize how heavy the contour was on the stock fluted barrel. Fluted should have been my clue, the guy I bought it from didn't have the letter designation right. I put it in the Savage parts finder when I got home. I was planning on keeping the stock Tupperware for my swap, at least for now but it's a standard weight sporter. I think it's gonna have a little "excess" freefloat with that setup.

Oh well, that's like project #3 so I can back burner that to simmer for a while while I decide what to do.

Hotolds442
02-08-2015, 04:47 PM
The Savage catalogs here in the historical section do indicate it was only offered in 2005. In 2006, they changed it to the 16FHSAK to accommodate the new center feed magazine system, H of course stands for hinged floorplate.