PDA

View Full Version : Need some serious help

pepper savage 111
02-07-2015, 08:46 PM
Hey guys. Ok I've done more research than I care to admit about 30mm vs 1" and which one I really need for the shooting I want to do.

(Before anyone sparks their torch to light me up about the search function, I've done my searches and I'm looking for advice from the experienced)

I just built a 30-06 and slapped a 20moa base on it. Now I know 30mm gives the ability for more adjustment but do I really need it if I'm only shooting out to 600 yards max (which will take me a while to have the skills needed to do so). most of my shooting will be out to 300 yards for now since thats all I can access at the moment. But i want a scope that can eventually get me out to 600.

Your input is appreciated.

Oh and I'd like to stay around $300-350 but $500 is my absolute max.

acridsaint
02-07-2015, 09:04 PM
A lot of 1" scopes will get you to 600 even without the 20MOA base. However, depending on what it is that you want to do with the rifle, you can have your cake and eat it too with the fixed power Super Sniper scopes, which will give you 30" tubes, adequate adjustment range and a $300 price tag.

pepper savage 111
02-07-2015, 09:16 PM
Ive been looking at those. My only worry is the fixed power. I will be shooting steel targets but I'd like to be able to see the groups when I punch paper. And from what I understand, fixed power limits your ability to do that. Please feel free to correct me.

barrel-nut
02-07-2015, 09:17 PM
According to my ballistic calculator, (BulletFlight), a generic .30-06 150gr load needs a hair over 14 MOA at 600 yds (edit: assuming a 100yd zero). So since you have a 20 MOA rail, you're more than there from the start. The question then becomes, will you have enough travel in your elevation to be able to dial down to achieve a 100 yd. zero. If you don't insist on a 100 yd zero, and are happy with a 200 yd zero, then virtually any 1" scope should work. Even at a 100 yd zero, most will have enough travel to get you there. I have several .308's with 1" scopes and 20 MOA rails, and they all can get a 100yd zero, although a couple are about out of adjustment to do so.
Also realize that when you approach the extremes of elevation adjustment, this causes your windage adjustment to become restricted as well.
Short answer, you should be ok with a 1". But it never hurts to try to find a scope that has relatively more elevation travel, as long as it fits your needs and budget.
I don't think you really specified what type of shooting you're going to do, only the distances involved. A little more specific info would help us with recommendations, as there are an awful lot of very specialized scopes that would fit different applications within your intended distance and budget.

pepper savage 111
02-07-2015, 09:37 PM
I'm strictly target shooting with this gun. It's way too heavy to hunt with thanks to the shilen s7 barrel I installed on it. My closest range only goes out to 400 yards but I have land available in Wisconsin and Nevada that I plan to take the rifle to eventually. So the majority of my shooting will be 100-400 yards with the occasional out to about 600. No animals will be taken with this gun except for pest hunting here in the west. Even though 30-06 is a bit much for p-dogs, I can't say I'll never try to reach out and touch one with this rifle.

I was looking at the Mueller APT, SWFA variety, and Millet variety.

I like the Millet a lot as I've had one on a target AR I once had but im not sure how it will hold up to 30-06 recoil. Which is what ignited all of this confusion...

pepper savage 111
02-07-2015, 09:40 PM
Sorry I meant the Mueller*** I've never owned a Millett

pepper savage 111
02-07-2015, 09:46 PM
I'm also eyeing the Primary Arms variety but the tolerance for 30-06 comes into play with that too.

acridsaint
02-07-2015, 10:05 PM
You won't see holes with it at that distance with the 10x, but I also don't think you will with a higher power variable that's got a 1" tube and a $350 or less price tag. My experience with less expensive variables is that they don't resolve all that well and don't handle mirage well. So, they don't really get you any closer. I don't think that the Primary Arms scopes will show you the holes that far out, but I've never seen through one.

You probably want a spotting scope if you're shooting paper past 300.

pepper savage 111
02-07-2015, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the input. Now I'm going to open the flood gates. If you guys were me with my budget and shooting plans, which scope would give you what you want. I know it's a give and take and I can't have everything the high dollar optics offer and I know there's no miracle scope out there for my budget but all things considered which scope would you buy? It doesn't have to be one of the ones I listed. My main goal is to get a scope that will "best fit" my needs and have maximum quality for the pricepoint. I dont want to go cheap and have horrible turrets or spend all my time sending it in for warranty work. Again, I know my budget sucks but I just want something that will hold up to a lot of practice so I can get good enough to justify spending high dollar on optics. Buying high dollar optics now won't make me a better shot.

barrel-nut
02-07-2015, 10:39 PM
I'll only talk about the ones I've owned, and fit your price range, and that I liked.

A fixed power Weaver T-36 or T-24 would work nicely, for right at $400 new. These are Japanese-made scopes, not Chinese junk. They have good glass and lots of windage and elevation. Downside- they're fixed power, which can get challenging when conditions are tough, especially mirage. BTW, you can't make mirage go away with a lower power scope. You only make it less noticeable. Another downside for some folks these days- these are very traditional-looking scopes, not at all "Tacticool" lol.
http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=SN849976&prodTitle=WE%20SCP%20T24%2024x40&CFID=9330498&CFTOKEN=62198260

In variables, the Millet TRS 4-16 is a good value. It is a 30 mm with plenty of adjustment, surprisingly good glass, and illuminated mil-dot reticle. I've used this one on a couple of .308's with rails out to 600 with no problems. Good warranty through Bushnell. Downsides- camo finish is kinda tacky-looking, although its also available in black for slightly more. Also very large and heavy. Adjustments could be more crisp, but hey, it's a $200 scope.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=MIBK81001A
The Burris Fullfield series scopes are good. I like the 4.5-14/42 and the 6.5-20/50. Very good glass. Adjustments are good, but not a whole lot of range. Both will work for you though. I've used both on a 7-mag with no recoil-induced issues. Burris has great customer service in my experience too.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-65-20x50mm-fullfield-ii-rifle-scope.html
Weaver has some good variables too. I like their SuperSlam series. The 3-15/50 and 4-20/50 are both winners. I use the 3-15 for hunting. The 4-20 has a fine crosshair with 1/8 MOA dot that works well for target shooting ( but not so well for hunting). Very clear glass, very user-friendly, easily resettable turrets with good clicks. Limited adjustment range, but again, plenty for your purposes. I've had both on .308's with no problems, and the 4-20 does great at 600 yds. These are my favorites in this price range.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/weaver/
(scroll halfway down to see a cutaway of a SuperSlam. Pretty interesting)
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=WE&prodID=WE800352&prodTitle=WE%204-20X50%20SF%20MATTE%20FINE-X%20DOT
Good luck.

GeoBoy
02-07-2015, 10:45 PM
How about a Burris Veracity 2-10x42 for $500.00?