PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to mount sling on 10FP

USAF_TRobertson
05-04-2010, 09:41 PM
I have a new 10 FP which I mounted a Harris S-25 bipod on. Where is the proper location to mount the sling - attached to the bipod's stud or to the existing stud on the rifle (10 FP has two front studs on it).

rjtfroggy
05-04-2010, 09:43 PM
The furthest stud up the forend is for the bipod, the closest is for the sling.

USAF_TRobertson
05-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Right - but does it make a difference to use the stud built into the bipod vs. using the existing stud or is it all personal preference? Also does anyone know what the 10FP factory trigger pull is (accu-trigger)?

USAF_TRobertson
05-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Another thing... when I am carrying the rifle (using the sling) its so top heavy that it ends up trying to slide down almost to a horizontal position (unless I use one hand to hold it). Does anyone carry their rifle with the barrel pointing downward? This seems to be much more comfortable - the center of gravity of the rifle is now positioned correctly and the bipod isn't poking me in the back. Thoughts?

Uncle Jack
05-05-2010, 03:35 PM
When hunting, I always carry a slung rifle with the muzzle pointing down. It's easier to balance and easier to bring up to the shoulder and the sling is pretty much in the right place on your arm. I place a piece of scotch tape over the muzzle to keep crap and corrupting out of the bore but, I always carry a roll of scotch tape anyway to attach tags to game animals as required here in Montana.

uj

Harriershot
05-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Have you shot it with the scotch tape still over the muzzle. Have you tested that at the range to see if it effects accuracy.

Charlie

Uncle Jack
05-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Have you shot it with the scotch tape still over the muzzle. Have you tested that at the range to see if it effects accuracy.

Charlie

Yes, I have.

uj

Snakum
05-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Sling attachment ....

I run Harris S-series bipods on all my long range/bolt guns. I was told that attaching the sling of a heavy rifle to the Harris would eventually pull the stud loose from the stock. However, I run PodLocs on all my Harris bipods so it made attaching to the second swivel problematic - the PodLoc lever prevents the sling attachment from moving freely. I eventually just went with a TAB sling, which has a hard (doubled) canvas section near one of the attachment points, and this rides under the PodLoc just fine. But I wouldn't have a problem attaching straight to the bipod. As long as the bipod is snugged it's not moving much.

Slings ...

I have always slung barrel down. This allows me to quickly bring up and shoulder a weapon while moving to the kneeling position, and have the sling behind my bicep so I have good sling support. It's not as stable as fully cuffed and tightened down sling loop, but it's close. And it's very, very fast if one practices it. If I'm taking the long stick and know I will be in a lot of gnarly stuff I will sometimes put a balloon over the muzzle. But usually I don't sweat it. I just watch the muzzle while moving.

I stalk hunt/still hunt primarily and I'm teaching my wife and kids the move from slung weapon to kneeling, sling supported firing. We plan on filling the freezer this year. :)