PDA

View Full Version : Hog Hunter Break and bolt handle?

SouthernWoodworking
02-05-2015, 08:11 PM
Should I put a break on my Hog Hunter in .308? I am looking for a cheap one that makes the barrel look a little longer. As for performance, how much would it help?

Should I replace the bolt handle too? It seems that the cocking action is really stiff and I think a longer handle would eliminate that. Is this true?

foxx
02-05-2015, 09:32 PM
Yep.
Yep.

It will reduce recoil by roughly 40-60% depending on the brake. Will be very LOUD. Might help accuracy if you are recoil sensitive. They can be had for $40 on up. I'd suggest getting one that does not have ports or holes on the underside (six o'clock position). If you shoot prone, they will throw up a lot of dirt/dust if the bottom is ported.

A longer "tactical" handle will make the bolt lift seem lighter due to increased leverage. They are typically around $60 and up. Try e-bay or http://www.apachegunworks.com/ for starters. You might also send it to Sharp Shooter Supply for a "Time and True" Job. That will also reduce the bolt lift because it will be optimized, made more mechanically efficient, etc.

kkeene
02-05-2015, 10:32 PM
I put an FN 308 SCAR "factory take-off" brake on my hog. Recoil seems a little less than a 243 now. Highly recommended!

You will need a 308 sized crush washer. I had to file the washer thickness down quite a bit for proper clocking of the brake, then crushed it the rest of the way. Trial and error, suggest you buy a spare in case you need to start over.

Bought the take-off break from hi-desert dog.

SouthernWoodworking
02-06-2015, 11:43 PM
I put an FN 308 SCAR "factory take-off" brake on my hog. Recoil seems a little less than a 243 now. Highly recommended!

You will need a 308 sized crush washer. I had to file the washer thickness down quite a bit for proper clocking of the brake, then crushed it the rest of the way. Trial and error, suggest you buy a spare in case you need to start over.

Bought the take-off break from hi-desert dog.
Yea I like that look. Ill see if I can find one.