PDA

View Full Version : 308 go and no go gauge

Bigeclipse
02-05-2015, 03:47 PM
All
I am looking to borrow a go and no go gauge for a 7mm-08 rebarrel I will be doing in a few weeks. I believe the 308 gauges work for 243 260 and 7mm-08. I know they can cost upwards of 60 bucks and this takes a lot of trust but I'd rather not buy them if I didn't have to. I'd pay shipping for both ways...to me and then back to the owner. I'm a paid member on here and would never scam anyone. If anyone would be willing to do this I'd even be willing to speak on the phone so you know I'm not someone just trying to rip you off. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks guys.

LoneWolf
02-05-2015, 04:36 PM
It's safe to just buy them. I find myself using them over and over again for my own rifles and others. Sometimes an action goes down or something and it's easy to just swap the barrel right over to it in just a couple minutes. Or you get bored of one caliber and make a quick switch to one of the others in the 308 family.

Bigeclipse
02-05-2015, 05:36 PM
It's safe to just buy them. I find myself using them over and over again for my own rifles and others. Sometimes an action goes down or something and it's easy to just swap the barrel right over to it in just a couple minutes. Or you get bored of one caliber and make a quick switch to one of the others in the 308 family.

Yeah but I don't know how I'd feel about swapping like that especially when working up specific loads for long range rifles. You might try and headspace to the exact spot as last time but you will likely be off a little which intern means your obullet seating depth to throat will now be different. So for me I build a rifle...and do not touch the barrel until I either shoot it out or get bored of that caliber.

Robinhood
02-05-2015, 06:12 PM
It cant be off more than .005" if your head space is good. Anyway. PM me and I will fill you in on how to borrow mine.

Bigeclipse
02-05-2015, 06:18 PM
It cant be off more than .005" if your head space is good. Anyway. PM me and I will fill you in on how to borrow mine.

In my comp gun that would be a lot. That would be really great to borrow some gauges...however I do not need them until the barrel comes in i may have jumped the gun posting this but wanted to give the person who may lend me the gauges an advanced notice. Barrel should be ready in 2-3 wore weeks

barrel-nut
02-05-2015, 06:28 PM

Definitely worth it to just buy one.
So little money, and so necessary for correct head spacing, and so likely that over the years you will use it many times over. Forego the no-go gauge and just use the go-+1 or 2 pieces of neatly trimmed scotch tape on the head of the go gauge. It really works. Now you're down to $30 + shipping one-way. Combine it into a bigger order to help offset shipping. If later it really bothers you to have it laying around, you could sell it here.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/638620/ptg-headspace-go-gage-243-winchester-260-remington-7mm-08-remington-308-winchester-338-federal-358-winchester?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Robinhood
02-06-2015, 01:16 AM
Just let me know.

Can I ask a question? How many barrels have you headspaced and how long have you been reloading?

mr45acp2u
02-06-2015, 02:04 AM
Big, you don't say where you located. You may find someone is close to you.

LHitchcox
02-06-2015, 01:52 PM
I would suggest you buy a go gage and forget about buying a no go. One layer of Scotch tape on the base of the go gage works fine. By the time you have borrowed the gages and paid shipping a couple of times you have almost paid for a go gage.