PDA

View Full Version : Looking for build advice

jlcpls
02-05-2015, 02:04 PM
Long time away, gents, but I'm back because I need to start looking at a varmint rifle build.

I'm giving my daughter my left hand mini mauser as a hunting rifle, and I've taken up handguns for wood work, so I need to come up with a solution for a varmint rifle.

Here's my wish list.

223 or 223 AI, fast twist, for heavy bullets. Looking at a short barrel (20 or 22)

Prefer a detachable mag, and if possible, different sizes (1 a flush mount, and a larger one for getting busy)

Left hand bolt.

Part of me says I should look at an AR, and I just might, but I'm just wondering what my Savage bolt options are these days.

Thanks

LoneWolf
02-05-2015, 02:07 PM
Get a left hand Axis II w/ Accutrigger, Stainless would be nice. Pull and sell the barrel, get an aftermarket barrel in 223AI from one of the many great barrel makers that sponsor this site, and drop it in a Boyds Stock of choice. Top it with some nice glass and call it a day. Probably the lowest cost overall to build what you want.

jlcpls
02-05-2015, 02:11 PM
does the axis have different mag sizes as far as # of rounds?

Is the 223 size mag well able to handle longer OAL's with heavy bullets?

LoneWolf
02-05-2015, 02:17 PM
People have modified the factory mags to hold 10rds or more for the Axis by welding the factory mag together with an AR type mag.

jlcpls
02-05-2015, 02:46 PM
Thanks LW.

The other question, are the mag wells long enough on the 223 sized action to support AI cartridges with long bullets?

Also, I assume the barrel nuts are the same as the 110 series? small barrel shanks too?

LoneWolf
02-05-2015, 04:25 PM
I have not measured a 223 variant to know for sure, but the Axis action is the same from 223 to 30-06 with only the mags and bolt heads differing. So I would think they take advantage of the mag length available.