PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 F/TR Questions...

Ernie B
02-04-2015, 08:33 PM
Good evening guys,

First off, I'm new to Savage so I would ask that you bear with me, should I ask a dumb question!! I have a new Model 12 F/TR in .308 that I've owned for a couple years now and have never fired it. My plans are to re-barrel it in order to use it to shoot some occasional 600-yrd. bench rest with it as well as some groundhog matches, and then put the .308 barrel back on, should the F/TR bug bite me. I'm planning to go with a either a Shilen or Criterion barrel in 6XC, probably from North Cumberland Shooter's Supply. My first question is which of these barrel manufacturers would you guys recommend, based on the shooting plans I've given. Second, I've been told that all Savage target actions take the large barrel shank. However, during my research for this new barrel, I've found on several occasions now where they indicate that there is not just the large and small shank, but they list 'target' as what appears to be a THIRD different barrel shank measurement... I would appreciate your help with clearing these questions up. Thanks in advance for your help.

Ernie

Robinhood
02-04-2015, 08:44 PM
Yours is a 1 1/16 - 20. There are only 2 shank diameters on the 10 110 pattern actions. Northland Shooters Supply. Jim is a sponsor here. I like Shilen but many many Savage guys swear by Criterion. Right now the Bartlien barrels are kicking rear in a lot of competitions. Talk to Devin at Sin Arms or Jim at Apache Gun Works for a Bartlien or Krieger. I think Pac nor may make a prefit also. I have a fine Pacnor on a Remington.

Ernie B
02-04-2015, 08:49 PM
Yours is a 1 1/16 - 20. There are only 2 shank diameters on the 10 110 pattern actions. Northland Shooters Supply. Jim is a sponsor here. I like Shilen but many many Savage guys swear by Criterion. Right now the Bartlien barrels are kicking rear in a lot of competitions. Talk to Devin at Sin Arms or Jim at Apache Gun Works for a Bartlien or Krieger. I think Pac nor may make a prefit also. I have a fine Pacnor on a Remington.

Robinhood, thanks for the info, I will certainly take it into consideration. I will also check with the two other suppliers to see what they have to say. Ernie