PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded stock for Savage 116

lightningracer
02-04-2015, 10:49 AM
New to forum, and just bought my first Savage, a few weeks ago. Have always been impressed with the quality of the firearm, considering the price.
I have a Savage 116 Trophy Hunter. It has the bolt release on the trigger guard, and the 4 round detachable magazine.
I am looking for some type of aftermarket, tactical type, stock for it, but have not had any luck with internet searching. The descriptions given never really seem to give me the information I am looking for, to see if it fits my rifle.
That is why I am here... maybe someone has the information to help me out.
Thanks.

Jerrod.

foxx
02-04-2015, 11:08 AM
Boyds has inexpensive stocks for that model.

Stocks for the top (or side) bolt release wll work with that model, but you will have to do some relieving of the stock material to make room for the bottom bolt release mechanism.

I wish Savage had never made this change, but they did, and it will take a while for stock makers to adapt. In the meantime, you'll have to do some tinkering to make what they have work. Fortunately, it's not that difficult.

I guess what I am saying is just go ahead and get whatever style of stock you want, ( ignore the bottom bolt release issue, but be mindful of short action screw spacing) and make changes as necessary when you get it.

Robinhood
02-04-2015, 11:16 AM
There are a couple of different styles of DBM's depending on the year and model. One has a metal surround and mag bottom, one has plastic. Find out what you have. Verify with the manufacturer/vendor.

ebrown
02-04-2015, 11:16 AM
Depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. I got a trophy hunter 116 and bought an unfinished stock from ebay. Interesting task, but one of the less intelligent decisions I've made recently. Getting it properly inletted was frustrating. That's the only stock I've done. Boyd's (boydsgunstocks.com) is considered generally decent and amazingly inexpensive although some people have had issues. They're a sponsor on this site, and I expect to get one soon for my B.Mag. McMillan (https://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifle-stocks/) has a good reputation at a higher price. So does http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/. And of course there are places online that will create a work of art that serves as your stock.

If you have the Axis-type plastic bottom metal like mine you'll need to buy the proper 116 bottom metal and magazine(s).

I'm sure some people who actually OWN these other stock brands will chime in. I just read about them.

foxx
02-04-2015, 11:55 AM
There are a couple of different styles of DBM's depending on the year and model. One has a metal surround and mag bottom, one has plastic. Find out what you have. Verify with the manufacturer/vendor.

Oh YEAH! Sorry 'bout that.

The Trophy Hunter uses the "Axis Style" mag and it's plastic bottom surround. It's only about $15 from Savage. Again, nearly any stock with proper screw spacing will work if you are willing to do some inletting and bedding. Boyd's does make one specifically for that model, though.

jrmy_1
02-08-2015, 09:32 PM
Check out some of the chassis systems. Awt (advanced weapons technology) makes a nice system. There's a few others too!

lightningracer
02-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the ideas... I will check them all out.

On another note... I took the rifle out, this past weekend, and sighted it in, with the Primary Arms Illuminated scope, I bought for it.

I first laser bore sighted it, at my house, at 50yds. I then went out to our farm, and had targets set up at 50yds, 100yds, and 200yds.

I dialed it in at 50yds. Then shot at 100yds... did not need any adjustment. I then did a "what the hell" on the 200yd target. 2nd shot, I put it in the bullseye. Excellent rifle!!