PDA

View Full Version : Problem: Will fire a primed case but not a loader round!! Help please

rvcoltold
02-03-2015, 08:35 PM
I have put together a F-Class Model 12 from used parts
Target short action
Factory Savage 6mm BR barrel
New Lapua case
Accu-Trigger and yes I fully understand the slamming the bolt safety feature.

Now it will fire an empty primed case but will not fire a loader round. Not just one time.

No mark on the primer and the sound it makes is just like you would expect, just like pulling the trigger on an empty chamber.

I have taken the bolt apart and inspected it. I see nothing wrong with it.

Bolt closes snug, maybe on the tight side of snug, on both cases.

Hotolds442
02-03-2015, 08:46 PM
A couple of things I'd look at:
Mainspring length - are you using the right spring for the bolt assembly?
Bullet seating - are you possibly pushing the shoulder back when seating bullets, creating excessive headspace that keeps the firing pin from striking the primer?

rvcoltold
02-03-2015, 08:59 PM
A couple of things I'd look at:
Mainspring length - are you using the right spring for the bolt assembly?
Bullet seating - are you possibly pushing the shoulder back when seating bullets, creating excessive headspace that keeps the firing pin from striking the primer?

The mainspring could be the wrong one but it came with the action and it does fire a primed case.
I'll inspect the loaded cases again to see if I deformed the shoulder. I did try to put the bullet right into the lands.

Hotolds442
02-03-2015, 09:25 PM
Put a piece of scotch tape on one of your primed empties. The bolt shouldn't close on it. Mark the rear baffle and the receiver with a pencil where the bolt stops, if it does. If you weren't able to close the bolt, remove the tape and seat a bullet on that case, add the tape again, and then close the bolt. If you're able to close the bolt past your marks, your seating die may need to be backed off some. If it closes to your marks and stops, or stops before you get to your marks, I'd suspect the mainspring.
One other thing could be your trigger adjustment. If your safety bar is too loose, the cocking piece can release when you pull the trigger and not move the firing pin. If that's the case, use the trigger adjustment procedures in the FAQ to readjust.

Robinhood
02-04-2015, 01:44 AM
Are you familiar with the Accutrigger? Sounds like you're bumping the trigger before the blade is completely depressed. You may have a light trigger and your not getting the blade depressed before the sear is released. if so you need to turn that spring clockwise from the bottom.

Edited:
Sorry Rocket 455, I didn't read the second half of your post.

rvcoltold
02-04-2015, 10:09 AM
Are you familiar with the Accutrigger? Sounds like you're bumping the trigger before the blade is completely depressed. You may have a light trigger and your not getting the blade depressed before the sear is released. if so you need to turn that spring clockwise from the bottom.

Edited:
Sorry Rocket 455, I didn't read the second half of your post.

Thank you all for your input. I will spec. a loaded round and compare it to a new case. After sleeping on it, I believe that I am binding the firing pin as it goes through the bolt head retaining pin. So, I will seat the bullet back so as not to touch the lands. If that don't work. I will reset headspace, I set it a little on the tight side. Also, the trigger is light so I will adjust it to 3 lbs.

I will post the fix, even if it embarrasses me. Thanks again.

rvcoltold
02-04-2015, 04:10 PM
The Fix.
The replacement bolt head came stripped. I took the extractor out of my old 223 bolt head and used it in my now 6mm BR bolt head. It was too long and rubbing the action wall putting the firing pin in a bind. With a loaded round the bullet put enough more pressure on the side of the firing pin to stop it from reaching the primer or slowed it down. When I filed off .010" it worked fine.

SHOT SELF IN FOOT SO TO SPEAK

Thanks for all the suggestions

sharpshooter
02-04-2015, 10:50 PM
You mean "extractor" not ejector.

rvcoltold
02-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Sorry, you are right.