PDA

View Full Version : My first savage build

Mta5672
02-03-2015, 05:52 PM
Brand new to the forum. I did introduce myself a few weeks ago. My original plan has changed a little. I am going to build a new hunting rifle(hopefully somewhat light weight). I purchased a really good used model 110 7rem mag for $265. Which I thought was a pretty good deal! I just got off the phone with Jim at Northland, what a great guy by the way, and ordered the new pipe. I got a 26in Shilen SS select 1:9 twist with the magnum contour. Im staying with the 7rem mag. I intend to throw Barnes 168 LRX. I am going to start tearing in down tonight. I am going to take the receiver to work and true it on the lathe tomorrow. I will be replacing the lug and nut. Haven't decided what trigger or stock yet, way too many options. I will be topping it with a Vortex HS-LR 4-16 FFP. Should make a fine freezer filler!

scooterf79
02-05-2015, 01:04 AM
Keep us posted, planning on a 7mag build soon, love the cartridge. I think its underrate with all the new stuff out. +1 on Jim @ Nss...great guy to deal with.
Scooter

YDKDY
02-05-2015, 02:46 AM
Sounds like a nice build, though I'm glad you're eating the recoil and not me. As I get older I don't even like to shoot the 30-06 much at the range any more. I considered the Shilen select match barrel too but Jim did not have one in my chambering so went with a Criterion. No regrets. Have fun and don't forget to post some pics.

grumpygunguy
02-05-2015, 12:52 PM
I'm strongly considering that exact same barrel. How long do you expect it to be before you get it?

wbm
02-05-2015, 01:02 PM
Good luck on the build. You might take a look at the 168gr Berger Classic Hunter and VLD Hunting. Better ballistics than the Barnes and they cost less.

I bought a 26" Criterion 7mm in magnum contour from Jim last year. A really good buy and an extremely accurate barrel. Had it bead blasted and a brake installed at Score High in Albuquerque. Put it on a refinished Savage walnut stock with a Limbsaver pad. Recoil is no more than a 243....I like that.

Mta5672
02-06-2015, 02:14 PM
I experimented with the bergers in 7stw last year. I don't want to start a debate but, I have used barnes bullets for many years and after my experience with the bergers I will stick with barnes. The lead time the barrel is going to be in the neighborhood of 14 weeks. I didn't want to settle on something different so I will impatiently wait! I still cant decide on a stock...I feel like my wife trying to buy a pair of shoes. Im trying to save weight and still get something with a vertical grip that wont break the bank.

Model12BVSS
02-08-2015, 07:01 PM
I was sort of in the same boat as you with my 7 mag build trying to decide on a stock that would keep me under my target weight of 10-11lbs with scope and bipod. Choate was out of the question. Chassis system too big and bulky for a hunting rifle. I stumbled on the Bell and Carlson Medalist Sporter, it's 3-3.25lbs and has an alum bedding block and setup for blind mag. The barrel channel will accept up to a varmint contour if my research is correct. MidwayUSA has em in stock in your choice of color. I haven't pulled the trigger yet cause funds are tight at the moment but definitely check it out when you get the chance. The grip is far from vertical though.