PDA

View Full Version : Axis barrel swap stock question

n4ue
02-03-2015, 03:36 PM
Ok, I have 10 Axis rifles and have done a lot of Ackley rechambering as well as swapping bbls (such as 6.5 TCU). I have the proper tools and this is not only easy, but quite satisfying.
I have 2 Axis 223s, one of which is the AI version. The plain 223 is getting a new bbl in 300 AAC, and it is a varmint contour. Should be here in a day or two.
I was wondering if anyone has opened up the bbl channel of the regular Axis to accept a heavier bbl.
I KNOW the correct answer is to get a new Savage stock or an aftermarket piece. However, I have several new Savage Axis stocks (and a small number of spare, new bbls).
I do have a milling machine, but it would be a PITA to jig it up. I'm NOT a carpenter, but have several co-workers that are and we have a router.....
Although I have several other makes in 223, the skinny bbl Axis will be replaced with a new 223 HB model.

Any ideas?

thanks

ron

RevM
02-03-2015, 04:06 PM
I did this with my 6.8 SPC Axis. The barrel is a magnum profile 20" with a threaded muzzle to take a suppressor. The barrel maker chose the magnum profile so he would have enough diameter at the muzzle for the 5/8-24 threading.

The barrel fit into place in the stock Axis stock, but I chose to use a utility knife to trim off just a bit from the inside of the forearm so the barrel would float. If you look at it closely you can tell I used a knife to open it, but it works well and look fine to me for a hunting rifle.

DrThunder88
02-03-2015, 04:22 PM
Varmint contours are a bit more of a pain. I tried heat-forming the forend with little success. Now my plan is to cut the barrel channel flush with the tops of the reinforcing ribs, spray in a bit of expanding urethane foam, sculpt it to my needs, and then lay up some fiberglass using 4:1 epoxy.

n4ue
02-07-2015, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. I finished the rifle yesterday and fired it today. (gotta love retirement!)
I took one of my Axis skinny bbl 223s and put on a new 22" Skinner bbl in 300 Blackout. Varmint profile. It measured .970" where it exited the front of the stock. I didn't think there was any way this would fit and not look like a kluge. Using a die grinder, a carbide burr and a hook type deburring tool, it took many trial fits. I finished it off with a 1" piece of bar stock with 150 grit sandpaper.
Not only does it look 'factory', it is free floated from the recoil lug forward. Next time I take it apart, I'll reinforce the forend.
The 300 was so easy to headspace, it seemed TOO easy. Putting the same scope back on the rifle and firing 220 gr sub sonic loads, it took just a few vertical clicks to put it back on center.
The Skinner bbl was very, very nice, and had a threaded muzzle and thread protector.

ron

Mitchbcs
02-09-2015, 02:44 AM
Ron I've tried sending you pm but your box is full. Pm your contact info if you don't mind... Questions about $1 trigger job.

Thank you