PDA

View Full Version : To Cerakote Or Not

rbp75503
02-03-2015, 12:44 PM
Help me decide to cerakote or not.

I have a model 110C intermediate action which has a beautiful original finish patina. The action has been artfully timed and trued by Mr Fred of Sharpshooter Supply.

The action will be placed in a XLR Industries chassis system. The chassis system will be cerakoted either tactical grey or federal brown.

The action will be married to a shilen stainless steel barrel.

I have a concern that if the action is cerakoted it will affect the condition of the time and true work.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Bob

jpdown
02-03-2015, 04:48 PM
I don't see how cerakote which is a very thin, but tough finish would impact tolerances on time and true job. It is all in what you like. I like the low maintenance and uniform appearance verses a blued finish. It is a little harder to sell if you decide to part out the rifle down the road.

Twinsen
02-03-2015, 11:04 PM
I just duracoat the outsides of my rifles. If you keep it out of the interior of the rifle, all should be well. You can't apply it evenly. Even if it goes on from 0.001 to 0.004, it won't go in my rifle. On it, sure!

rbp75503
02-06-2015, 08:18 AM
Thanks folks for the replies. I think it now comes down to a decision whether to leave it as is or to cerakote for looks.