PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Scale and Cell Phone

bvil
02-02-2015, 07:12 PM
I've recently reorganized my loading bench and moved the digital powder scale closer to the edge. The last few times loading I noticed the scale acting erratic and occasionally showing an error display. I figured it was on its way out and started looking for a replacement.

Today I was testing it by alternately weighing 45 grains of powder and a calibration weight. It worked perfectly.

I went back to the bench about 30 minutes later to do some loading. This time it jumped up and down by .2 grains without touching it and the closer I stood, the worse it jumped. The difference? The second time I had my cell phone in my pocket. While watching the display change with my position, I received a call and it fluctuated from 20 to 60 grains and finally had an error. The phone was about three feet from the scale when the call was received.

Maybe this is common knowledge but I have never heard of it.

Alleycat72
02-02-2015, 07:39 PM
It even happens with my lab grade scale. Put your phone next to it and have someone text you. My scale has a filtered power supply, two chokes, and vibration dampened table. Cell phones are not allowed in that part of the house. LOL

Robinhood
02-03-2015, 11:36 AM
I had forgotten about chokes. Are they effective? I have florescent lights in the scale area.

Alleycat72
02-03-2015, 05:09 PM
It's an every little thing helps approach. If you have noisy AC, a ups, choke, and filter is the way to go. All I have are LEDs in my reloading room. I usually shut down the ac/heat also.

barrel-nut
02-03-2015, 05:56 PM
I have a noisy A/C in my shop. It's one of those window-shakers lol!

Just kidding. How does one know if one's household Alternating Current is, in fact, noisy? I honestly have no idea. But my little RCBS rangemaster 750 is as creepy as Rob Lowe's alter ego.

Yukon21
02-06-2015, 10:42 AM
There are warnings abut the fluorescent lights, also other electronic equipment, and to turn on the electronic powder dispenser and electronic dispenser to let them "warm up". I turn them on about 15 minutes before I use them and yes I do have fluorescent fixtures, so I moved my electronic reloading equipment away from them. It helped not getting the error message so much. I was also told not to have other electric items (radio etc,) on the same circuit. All these things I find out after I've had a little trouble. since I did all these I've found enjoyment in the electronic loading!
Best Wishes,