PDA

View Full Version : Tracking Point, 12 y/o girl, 1000yds, one shot, one hit.

Pages : [1] 2

Texas10
02-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Now this just took all the fun out of it!

Watch as this girl hits targets out to 1000 yds, and then a three inch disk at 500.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfpZjTOyiFA

Here's a Remington 700 equipped with Tracking point at the local Gander Mountain.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Remington-2020-Model-700-Long-Range-Centerfire-Rifle&i=56954&r=view

Tracking Point's website;http://tracking-point.com/precision-guided-firearms/precision-guided-semi-auto-300-wm

Wasn't sure where to put this contribution…..so I put it here because, after all, it is about accuracy.

Hope you find it entertaining :p

LoneWolf
02-02-2015, 06:30 PM
I'm just waiting for some kid to show up with one of these at the local long range competition.....

D.ID
02-02-2015, 08:39 PM
Fooferra.......speling?
Silly but Inevitable, just a matter of time before they figure out how to stick a battery up there b...... nose ....... so they don't need to THINK about physical conditioning either.
Who wants to volunteer to be first to jump out of a perfectly good airplane over hostile territory betting your life on that contraption?

yobuck
02-03-2015, 10:31 AM
Everybody sees the same thing but come away with a different take of what they saw.
I saw a 12 year old girl make some very good shots.
I also think if she had a different scope she still could have made the shots.
But i dont think that was the message we were supposed to get.

Berger.Fan222
02-03-2015, 12:09 PM
Technology might enhance a shooter with sound fundamentals, but it won't really replace sound fundamentals.

Shooters who understand what the "black box" is doing will always get much more from the technology than shooters who think it's magic.

Texas10
02-03-2015, 06:24 PM
First of all, I am not promoting anything here. This business popped up nearby and after reading about it in a local newspaper, I did some investigating.

If you go on youtube and do some searching, there is a lot out there already on this technology. Basically, once you "tag" the target, the scope performs a firing solution. You then pull the trigger and hold it. As you move the aim point around, it will fire automatically when it is pointed in exactly the right position. The target can be moving up to 25 mph and still be hit.

What I found interesting is that you can don a pair of video glasses linked to this technology and see what the scope is seeing, while looking in a totally different direction. You could for instance, hold the gun around the corner of a building while keeping your body's core protected, find a target, tag it, fire the shot while only exposing your hands to return fire and while capturing everything on video and upload it onto the net.

These weapon systems probably do rely on special ammunition available only at the factory, for now. IMHO, that situation usually changes quickly.

LoneWolf
02-03-2015, 06:27 PM
I don't think this one is tied to the trigger. I think this one is just a 700 with the fancy scope.

yobuck
02-03-2015, 07:16 PM
And if a 12 year old (GIRL) can do it just imagine what you could do big boy. lol

foxx
02-03-2015, 07:55 PM
I actually was holding a new AR-15 with one of those things mounted to it just the other day. Pretty cool. Kinda like "Star Wars".
I still think my old model 114 .260 with hand-rubbed, oiled, dark walnut stock is a lot sexier, though!

Tempest
02-03-2015, 10:56 PM
I like technology. However, I enjoy seeing someone hit a target at 1,000 yards w/ iron sights far more than this.

Jamie
02-04-2015, 06:19 AM
I'd rather see some one using that than flinging bullets at a deer farther than they should, using the miss as a guide to hold for the next shot and then flinging another. I know things happen when out hunting to make us miss on an easy shot from time to time but if you cannot make first shot hits at least 80% of the time you are shooting farther than you should.

yobuck
02-04-2015, 10:45 AM
I'd rather see some one using that than flinging bullets at a deer farther than they should, using the miss as a guide to hold for the next shot and then flinging another. I know things happen when out hunting to make us miss on an easy shot from time to time but if you cannot make first shot hits at least 80% of the time you are shooting farther than you should.

I could fill a very large room with some very good shooters who would challenge you on that Jamie.
Bottom line is that if your serious about that then take your one shot then leave.
Just think, no need to be carrying around more than the 1 bullet needed for that season.

Texas10
02-04-2015, 10:47 AM
Yobuck,

You're not suggesting that Tracking Point's marketing is aimed towards threatening the male ego, are you? Sort'a like, say, the CAR or MOTORCYCLE industry??

I can see the bumper snicker now….."One shot, One kill, Real men love Tracking Point" :cool:

yobuck
02-04-2015, 11:12 AM
Yobuck,

You're not suggesting that Tracking Point's marketing is aimed towards threatening the male ego, are you? Sort'a like, say, the CAR or MOTORCYCLE industry??

I can see the bumper snicker now….."One shot, One kill, Real men love Tracking Point" :cool:

I think you might be onto something there with your keen observation.
Free stocking hat and face paint included with early orders.
Mean looks and 3 day stubble not included. lol

Jamie
02-04-2015, 12:39 PM
I could fill a very large room with some very good shooters who would challenge you on that Jamie.
Bottom line is that if your serious about that then take your one shot then leave.
Just think, no need to be carrying around more than the 1 bullet needed for that season.
I am sure you could, that doesn't make the statement any less true. Just a room full of people shooting farther than they should. I do take more than one round out because things do happen. I just try to minimize my misses instead of planning on missing.

If you want to hunt that way then have at it, it's your choice. I'm not against long range hunting by any means, just against those that are doing it when they are shooting beyond their abilities.

Twinsen
02-04-2015, 01:33 PM
I am sure you could, that doesn't make the statement any less true. Just a room full of people shooting farther than they should. I do take more than one round out because things do happen. I just try to minimize my misses instead of planning on missing.

If you want to hunt that way then have at it, it's your choice. I'm not against long range hunting by any means, just against those that are doing it when they are shooting beyond their abilities.

There's a big difference between walking your shot to 1000 yards for the first time and taking 6 shots at a moose at 1800 yards and finally connecting with his intestinal tract and then celebrating how far your terrible, terrible shot was. One is fun, one is unethical.

Some long distance guys are too caught up in the glory, IMO.

foxx
02-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Wow. I am with Jamie on this one. In fact, I gotta think expecting 80% hits is pretty generous. I would think/hope an ethical hunter has a better expectation of success than even that before he pulls the trigger. Just b/c stuff happens on occasion that can ruin a good shot (an unseen twig or gust of wind or something) doesn't mean I should take a shot that I don't believe is, barring the unknown, a 100% kill shot.

Before I injured my shoulder and elbow, I was a dang good "long range" target archer... could generally put 80% of my arrows into a 4 inch circle at 90 meters (99 yards), but I still passed on a broadside shot at the biggest buck I've ever seen (or anyone else in our camp of over 20 years) this past fall because, though he was standing in an open rye field, completely unaware of my presence, I did not know for sure if he was 55 or 60 yards out. At that distance, it makes a big difference. I let him walk. I know I would have made the shot had I known the range, and I was 80% sure it wasn't 60 yards, but that wasn't good enough.

JMHO, of course.

yobuck
02-04-2015, 03:46 PM
There's a big difference between walking your shot to 1000 yards for the first time and taking 6 shots at a moose at 1800 yards and finally connecting with his intestinal tract and then celebrating how far your terrible, terrible shot was. One is fun, one is unethical.

Some long distance guys are too caught up in the glory, IMO.
Would 5 shots at a deer running accross an open field at 100 yds be unethicle?

LoneWolf
02-04-2015, 04:12 PM
Would 5 shots at a deer running accross an open field at 100 yds be unethicle?

Only if you're using an AR lol!

foxx
02-04-2015, 04:32 PM
Depends, Yobuck. In certain farm country, on the opening day of firearm deer season in shotgun only zone, and there are hunters everywhere ready to drop anything that comes their way, I'd say, "Go for it". He'll likely be killed soon by someone anyhow, wounded or not.

At our more remote camp up north with 5-6 other hunters in a thick cedar swamp of thousands of acres? Hell, Yes, it's unethical! Every day of the week and 2x as bad on Sunday!