PDA

View Full Version : Reinforced my factory stock

Underdog
02-01-2015, 02:10 PM
I reinforced my factory axis stock in the forearm with an epoxy resin. No metal or anything like that, just scuffed it up good and applied epoxy resin for the full length of the forend. It hardened up within 1 hour and now the stock is rock solid up front. I epoxied the trigger guard in place and stuffed cotton cloth in the buttstock along with some weight (i used a bag of lead fishing weights) wrapped tightly and secured inside the buttstock. The stock now is much better balanced and way more solid than from the factory. I was considering buying an aftermarket stock but I really like the factory synthetic stock, it just needed to be tweaked to my specification.

boostless
02-01-2015, 02:30 PM
I thought I was in a different forum

Underdog
02-01-2015, 03:04 PM
Wrong forum boostless? Maybe you could explain what the correct forum would be? This post is about an axis repair project.

boostless
02-01-2015, 04:40 PM
no your good, I thought I was browsing a different forum.

Freightman
02-02-2015, 11:33 AM
First post! and thanks for the post on the stock. I have an Axis .308 coming, and was wondering about a stock fix as would like to keep the stock as they don't scratch behind the seat.

mech1369dlw
02-02-2015, 01:44 PM
18 months ago, I had an Axis in .2233 that I was ready to throw into the lake. Couldn't keep it in a 4" circle at 100 yards with anything I shot out of the barrel. I read over and over again about the epoxy and rod thing. I had a couple of those 12" tent stakes that look like giant nails. Cut the heads off of them, drilled a couple holes into the plastic below the recoil lug. Put the stakes into the stock and flooded it with epoxy. Then I did the shoulder end of it also. Let it dry 24 hours, cleaned up the little oops drops and then put the gun together. What a difference it made. With 75 grain Hornady match bullets and 22.5 grains of IMR 4064, it will now shoot under an inch all day long at 100 yards if I do my part. I would love to get the new high speed stock for it but it just ain't there with the bucks. Perhaps in the future. Some pretty good advice available on this site.

Underdog
02-02-2015, 02:21 PM
Putting metal rods in would make it even stiffer, so that would be another option. But with just the epoxy alone it made it mighty stiff. I was trying to keep the weight down, so I skipped the rods. After applying the epoxy you will need to sand the barrel channel to open it up, a 5 minute job.

Underdog
02-02-2015, 06:46 PM
Just ordered a rifle basic trigger to complete my axis. Between the trigger and the reinforced stock it should be one hell of a shooter.

fgw_in_fla
02-02-2015, 07:36 PM
Congratulations, guys.

You're well on your way to becoming full fledged Axis addicts.
We used to have an Axis addicts support group here but then Boyd's and another guy came out with a wood stock for the Axis.

Start saving your nickels & dimes.
This is just the beginning...

Welcome to the war.

PS - If you find yourself spending more time trying to modify / improve your Axis than you do with the family, you have the dreaded Axis addictive personality.
Stay far away from reloading your own ammo & AK47's....

Underdog
02-02-2015, 10:26 PM
Frank I remember following your threads when I first joined this forum. I learned a lot from your expertise. Thank you!

fgw_in_fla
02-02-2015, 10:54 PM
Hardly expertise.
The idea came up from being in the construction business most of my life.
Same principle as pouring concrete.
Essentially no strength until you put a few pieces of steel rebar in it.

Glad to know it worked out for you. Now find yourself a good used accutrigger or, if you prefer a nice after market trigger & you'll have a rifle suitable for most any application. Don't forget some decent glass.
Good luck with the project.