PDA

View Full Version : Death of the Savage 110 Used & Take-off Parts Market

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

J.Baker
02-03-2015, 07:20 PM
On the factory replacement parts front, I know Fred and Lisa have a big order in with Savage that's currently about 8 weeks past due and no word from Savage on if/when it will get filled and whether or not it will be filled in full when it is finally filled. Seems to be the same situation for most everyone else who stocks/carries OEM replacement parts as well. Hard to fill/ship orders when you can't get the product from the manufacturer.

Twinsen
02-03-2015, 10:59 PM
I just joined and I've already sold 2 things. *shrug*

DrThunder88
02-04-2015, 03:02 AM
Selling here is pretty successful if your prices are right. I usually set my prices at just about the minimum of what I'll take (I'm not a fan of haggling) and have had good luck in selling off all sorts of another man's treasures.

fgw_in_fla
02-04-2015, 09:12 AM
For me locally, I'm not seeing the $250 pawn shop 110 anymore that provided those parts to sell. I see guys here still scoring them but, I'm not finding them (locally) anymore.

I'm still seeing that same $250 pawn shop 110 but.......it's got a $400 price tag on it now. At that price, I'm better of stripping a new one.

Maybe it'll just still take a little more time for used prices to come back down.

Same down here, Dave. Every Savage I own came from a pawn shop and the most I paid was $200 for a 110. I even scored my first 25.06 Axis from a pawn shop for $175 - out the door. I have a Stevens 200 I bought 5-6 years ago from a gun shop that was new. The only rifle I bought new, in fact.

Now when I go "pawn shopping" I see rack of rifles that have been there a while. Mostly junk. Lots of good deals on pistols, but no good rifle deals.

As Jim mentioned, the classifieds used to be a gold mine of goodies for us barrel swappin' guys. Especially around the holidays. Lots of great deals. It was kinda disappointing this year not seeing the usual goodies for offer.

Even for myself, as much of a cheap A55 that I am, I've considered buying new barrels & rifles for parts.
Notice I said "considered"...

Maybe those once great deals will come back.
Someday.

foxx
02-04-2015, 09:51 AM
What I don't understand is who is buying these used 10/110's at such high prices? Unless the sellers are just setting prices based on what they see other people are asking, it doesn't make sense. Basic economics says supply and demand will determine the price. Well, adding new, inexpensive Axis to the market shouldn't drive up the price of 110's. I have gone to buying new, when good "specials" present themselves.

LoneWolf
02-04-2015, 09:55 AM
In this day and age the whole supply and demand theory no longer works the way it used to because everyone wants to make all their money on the first idea that goes big or is the current media boom, then they ride that wave as long as it lasts.

foxx
02-04-2015, 10:20 AM
In this day and age the whole supply and demand theory no longer works the way it used to because everyone wants to make all their money on the first idea that goes big or is the current media boom, then they ride that wave as long as it lasts.

So you figure there's new people entering the market with a different idea of the value? I mean, no one can sell something for more than the buyer is willing to pay. If these are overpriced, then people will eventually get stuck with them and be forced to lower their prices and take their losses, or nothing will move. My guess is that it has something to do with the internet. As long as there are a few people, anywhere in the country, who are willing to pay a high price, everyone will raise their prices to meet it. The reverse is true, too. It only takes one seller with a large inventory who is willing to sell for less to drive the market down because all buyers have access to him.

I read an article somewhere stating that Amazon, and others like them, are now setting prices based upon the regional brick and mortar prices... If they know I ma in Michigan (because of my IP address or something) then they will advertise certain products just below what the brick and mortar stores are offering it within a reasonable distance from me. So, someone in Idaho might get a different price come up than someone in NYC.

Robinhood
02-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Foxx, Ive seen this for myself. My work computer routes everything through the corporate servers. I get one price there. I go home and look at the same vendor and the price can be slightly higher.

Twinsen
02-04-2015, 10:47 AM
I use a proxy in Los Angeles sometimes. No bueno.

J.Baker
02-04-2015, 11:32 AM
So we just need to figure out where the cheapest market in the country is and setup a proxy server there for everyone to place their online orders with to get the best prices.

foxx
02-04-2015, 11:58 AM
So we just need to figure out where the cheapest market in the country is and setup a proxy server there for everyone to place their online orders with to get the best prices.

Sounds like a good business opportunity! ;)

DrThunder88
02-04-2015, 03:01 PM
What I don't understand is who is buying these used 10/110's at such high prices? Unless the sellers are just setting prices based on what they see other people are asking, it doesn't make sense. Basic economics says supply and demand will determine the price. Well, adding new, inexpensive Axis to the market shouldn't drive up the price of 110's. I have gone to buying new, when good "specials" present themselves.

I think you're wrong about the Axis affecting the price of 110s the way you say. For that to be true, first of all, we would have to take as granted that the Axis and 10/110 lines are competitive with each other. I think this is moot. Would Savage add a product that would cannibalize sales of their flagship brand? Perhaps, but it's more likely that they figure the sales from would-be 10/110 buyers will be offset by customers who would not have otherwise bought an 10/110. Considering the expansion of the Axis line over the past few years, I would suggest that, if this was their calculus, it appears to be accurate.

This leads me to my second reason for thinking the introduction of the Axis would actually contribute to raising 10/110 prices: marketing. Now that Savage has two well-established lines of general purpose, centerfire rifles, there is a clear distinction between high-end and low-end guns. Whereas before a consumer might have to do a bit of research to figure out how a 110 differed from a 110A from a 110B from a 111 etc., now there are two brands: the legacy 10/110 and the entry-level Axis. This allows Savage to nudge the prices of their 10/110 rifles up while still maintaining a reputation for affordable quality. Furthermore, the price points in the used gun market now take their cues from this bifurcated product list. The used 10/110 is not the predecessor of the workmanlike Axis rifle. It is the antecedent of the top-of-the-line 10/110. Few people own or care to use a Blue Book, not that I'd even be able to speak to how much pertinent info on Savage 10/110 rifles there is to be found therein. Moreover the ultimate, authoritative guide to the price is whether or not people will pay the asking price.

foxx
02-04-2015, 03:24 PM
Moreover the ultimate, authoritative guide to the price is whether or not people will pay the asking price.

Right. That's why I think the internet is a big player here. See post #47... For example, in the last few weeks I have sold a few new take-offs on EBay for prices I honestly think are 2x what I could get on this forum. Heck, I wouldn't even feel good about asking such prices here. :). But here's the thing: I put a fair starting price on them, then a high "buy it now" price. Sometimes, within minutes someone snags it for the "buy it now price". What's up with that?! DANG! If you're that eager for it, I'll throw another one out there and see what you do with it! :) AGAIN!

What am I to do? So, I figure, if I had a pawn shop in BFE, I would offer my products at one price (reasonable) for the locals, but also put them online for the yahoo's. If the "yahoo's" buy them, so be it. I'm thinking it would be foolish not to.

J.Baker
02-04-2015, 03:27 PM
Have you all looked at the MSRP's for new 10/110's? I'm not talking the cheapened up Hog Hunter or Trophy Hunter package rifles, but just a standard 110? The MSRP on the Model 11/111 FCNS is $768. That's a blued, tupperware stocked base 110 with a detachable magazine. That's woithin $10 of what the MSRP was for the 12 BVSS and 12 VLP just 10 years ago when a basic 10/110FNS had an MSRP of $489. That's a 43% increase for what is (for the most part) the same gun.

I think it's safe to say a good part of the reason uses 10/110 prices are higher is because new prices are much higher than they used to be. When you were calling $200 for a used 110 a real bargain, a new 110G could be purchased for $400 or thereabouts so the used gun was essentially half the price of a new one. The 11/111 FCNS seems to be selling for right around $600 on the street most places so if we continue the half-price trend a used 110 bargain should be priced around $300.

However, one also has to remember that sellers also know that most people are wanting the newer guns that have the round-top and AccuTrigger, so they can push a premium price for those guns compared to the older flat-top rifles.

Smokey262
02-05-2015, 12:21 AM
If I could sell all of my guns for twice what I paid for them, or more, I would seriously consider doing it. Maybe keep a couple of my favorites :)

yorketransport
02-05-2015, 01:16 AM
I think some of the decline comes from the variety of factory guns that Savage is selling right now. A few years ago, if I wanted a long range hunting gun in 6.5x284 I'd buy a donor, sell the old parts, and buy new ones. Now I can just go buy a factory LRH and be done without the hassle or the work involved with building one. I know a few local guys who did just that. I'd plan a whole build for them and then they'd just go buy a factory gun which met 95% of their wish list. No build, no parts, no sale adds.

I know that I've slowed down on building new projects because of the slower used market.

Andrew

J.Baker
02-07-2015, 01:13 PM
I think some of the decline comes from the variety of factory guns that Savage is selling right now. A few years ago, if I wanted a long range hunting gun in 6.5x284 I'd buy a donor, sell the old parts, and buy new ones. Now I can just go buy a factory LRH and be done without the hassle or the work involved with building one. I know a few local guys who did just that. I'd plan a whole build for them and then they'd just go buy a factory gun which met 95% of their wish list. No build, no parts, no sale adds.

I know that I've slowed down on building new projects because of the slower used market.

Andrew

Yeah, that's also a notable factor.

3darcher2
02-09-2015, 06:52 PM
I know I just joined a few weeks ago and am still on my first Savage build but I'll admit the Classifieds were somewhat disappointing. Before joining I found a lot of positive reviews for the Classifieds here as having tons of stuff, which when I go back now and look are a few years old. As a lefty I was really hoping to find some sort of gold mine here for LH parts. I have managed to pick up a stock but that's all so far. In fact I turned up a 7mm-08 barrel just advertising locally on a classified site for $45 when it seems there are none to be had here within a week.

That said, for $15 I found a stock that I could not have gotten anywhere else and I am learning a ton. If I could buy the LH parts anywhere for what I see RH parts for routinely, I'd be ecstatic! Heck for the most part I'd be ecstatic just to find them for sale period!

foxx
02-09-2015, 07:17 PM
^^^^ Yep. Unfortunately, Savage is kinda backing away from the LH market, too. I think the LH parts that are currently out there will be in even higher demand as time goes on.

ger42
02-09-2015, 09:21 PM

Andrew

I think adding to the problem is the new shooters are looking at the AR platform before a bolt gun.