PDA

View Full Version : 16 to a 14

JustinNC
01-31-2015, 11:44 AM
Got a 16 in 7mm-08 that I'd like to either trade (not sure what for, just an itch to do some swapping) or put in a walnut stock. Of course I can order one from boyds, but likely to maybe get on cheaper from a 14 take off.....if they'll work and if I can find one. Small love marks are ok. I don't mind stripping and sanding and refinishing.

Am I wrong in thinking a 14 should work? Obviously would have to measure bolt holes, and make sure bolt release is the same.

jpdown
01-31-2015, 12:48 PM
Goggle "Savage Stock Numrich". Go to "14 - Numrich". The 14 American Classic will work with your Savage 16. It looks like they still have some Savage SA AC walnut stocks (Product # 1366580 and 1366590) with DBM inletting and straight or monte carlo cheek piece left in stock. The top/side bolt release stock will also work the newer BBR Savage SA action.

I have pick up several of these discontinued Savage OEM stocks from Numrich over the years for builds. I have stripped a few to bare wood and refinished with Tru-Oil Gunstock finish. But I have found that to be more trouble than it is worth. If you do so, be aware that the stripper will melt the black plastic tip. So tape it off. I don't strip them to bare wood anymore. When I get a new stock and at the end of hunting season, I just use a hot iron and wet cotton rag to raise the deeper wood dings, lightly dull the finish with 0000 steel wool and apply a few coats of Tru-Oil Gunstock finish. This will repair any storage marks or handling dings and scratches and make the stock look like new again. Also take care and don not sand though the factory finish to bare wood. It is nearly impossible to restore the finish to match.

You'll have a beautiful rifle with Savage model 16 SS action and barrel.

J.Baker
01-31-2015, 01:43 PM
That's assuming his 16 is a newer centerfeed model with the 4.400" action screw spacing. There's 6-8 years of older 4.275" staggered feed Model 16's out there as well that the 14 Classic stocks won't fit on.

JustinNC
01-31-2015, 01:56 PM
I found the Numrich stocks after posting here. Will measure when I get home. I got the gun used in another trade lol. I'm not much of a trader but do like to have a piece of two around incase the bug bites.

Jpdown, if I sand to bare wood, what is it almost impossible to match back to? I'm not concerned with matching back to the original finish, but if it's all bare wood, would it not all be uniform when I refinished, assuming I had nice even coats going back on?

jpdown
02-01-2015, 01:39 AM
There is base stain under the factory finish so that all walnut stocks are consistent in appearance. If you sand through to bare wood in a small area, it is difficult to rematch the factory finish. However, if you strip and refinish the whole stock, it will bring out the true beauty of the walnut grain that is masked by the factory finish.