PDA

View Full Version : New to Savage

greyghost
01-31-2015, 10:27 AM
I was going to buy the 10FCP-SR, After reading some post on here, I have some questions, I realize they changed from the old model, And had to of made some real changes to reduce price by almost 1/2 from what I understand. But I thought the Accura Stock was supposed to be good, And the accura trigger was supposed to be what other manufactures wished their trigger was like, Ive seen where other manufactures have copied so to speak both the stock and trigger, I know the action is not near as smooth as a older model 700, I guess what Im asking is, Is this rifle a good purchase or did I make a mistake?
Is it and the Hog Hunter basically the same except for cosmetic differences, Any insight will help, I can still call my LGS on Monday and change my mind.
Thanks,

J.Baker
01-31-2015, 11:02 AM
Welcome to the internet - where individual opinions flow like Taco Bell induced diarrhea whether they have any meaningful merit or not!

Why did you order the 10FCP-SR? I'll go out on a limb and say it was for certain features it had. Those are features you wanted on the gun, so you selected a model with those features. So why now all the sudden are you questioning your decision making process and considering changing to a different model without any of those features based solely on and opinion or two of someone on the internet whom you have never met and know nothing about?

As for your questions on the features...

AccuStock - it's a perfectly fine stock, and far better than the standard synthetic stock offered on some Savage models (such as the Hog Hunter). Is it up to par with a McMillan or an HS Precision or AICS or other high end aftermarket stock? Of course not, and thats why AccuStock models are considerably cheaper than those fitted with the premium aftermarket stocks from the factory (i.e. Model 10FCP McMillan)

AccuTrigger - The AccuTrigger is a fine trigger and still probably one of the best factory triggers on the market from any manufacturer. However, some folks take issue with the AccuRelease Blade and how it functions which is a PERSONAL preference, not a flaw with the trigger itself. It's kind of like plastic trigger guards in that some folks flat out refuse to buy a gun that has one even though in reality if it's made of a quality polymer it's probably stronger and more durable than any metal trigger guard.

Action Smoothness - Not sure why we're comparing apples (Savages) to oranges (Remingtons) all the sudden, but whatever floats your boat. I'm not real sure what aspect of smoothness you're referring to...bolt lift? how the bolt slides in the raceways? Either way, a new or used Remington 700 always has and always will require more money to tune-up than a Savage simply because of it's non-modular design. One can waste the rest of their life arguing over who makes the slickest action or which is the strongest or which has the fastest lock time or which is the most accurate once trued - argue and debate all you want, but none of it will ever make you or the rifle shoot any better.

greyghost
01-31-2015, 11:12 AM
Thanks, Makes sense, I did choose the 10FCP-SR for the features on it, And a bolt no matter who's does complete the same function, I will probably keep my order the way it is. Thank's

Hotolds442
01-31-2015, 03:24 PM
At least shoot it enough to become comfortable with it. Any issues you have with the components used in manufacturing the rifle can be swapped out easily to make it work for you. That's the one thing that Savage has going for it, change is easy. Give it a chance and ignore the hype. Come to your own conclusions and give us an honest review. We will be here to walk you through whatever issues you come across, usually in dogpile fashion. Enjoy your new rifle.