PDA

View Full Version : Bartlein, Shilen, Benchmark, Bruxx which would you suggest?

Stefan
05-03-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm looking for good barrel recomendations for a 10FCP build that I'm trying to price at the moment.
I am looking to keep the rifle more inline with a tactical rifle.

I was thinking about a flutted 22" barrel threaded for a SAS muzzle break and later a SAS suppressor.

I am debating on barrel twist,
1-10
or 1-11.25 or 1-11

Idea is to be able to shoot accuratly to 600 meters and shoot out to 1 km when range permits. A 22" barrel should suffice, I'm just trying to figure out which one to go with?

82boy
05-03-2010, 10:40 AM
What ever you feel good about, in aftermarket barrels they all shoot about the same.

pdog06
05-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Like Pat said I dont think you'll go wrong with any of them, but I'd throw Pacnor and Lothar Walther into that mix as well.

I assume since it will be a "tactical' theme that you'll be duracoating the barrel? Northlander sells Prefit Shilens(in both SS and CM) that might fit what you need. The shortest he offersin stock is 26", but you could just have it shortened at a local smith. If he has it in stock the wait time is only a week or two, instead of 8-20+ weeks for some of the other brands. Something to think about if you wanna build it soon.

I also assume it will be a 30 caliber, but is it a 308, 300WM, or what. In any even I'd go with the 10 twist so you can shoot the heavy bullets if you want to.

Stefan
05-03-2010, 01:03 PM
oooppppsss, sorry about that!

It will be in .308.

I have a .300WM that I will build up down the road but until then I would like to build a solid .308.

dcloco
05-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Don't forget about Rock Creek barrels.

I have at least one of all that you listed (except Bartlein) and several of the Rock barrels. All shoot rather well.

Couple of the Shilen barrels shoot, absolutely, lights out. All of the Rock barrels do. The Benchmark and the Brux don't have many rounds down the tubes, but look promising as well. Still working up loads with those.

Stefan
05-03-2010, 05:32 PM
So you have had great luck with the Rock barrels. I'll have to research that also.

I looking for something that is more of a guarenteed thing/a barrel manufacturer that is not hit and miss because with my luck I will get the miss!

pa hog
05-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Broughton 5C/Kreiger/Lilja/Hart would be my top pick's if you don't mind paying and waiting.

Brux/Rock/PacNor would also be great choices.

dcloco
05-03-2010, 08:19 PM
So you have had great luck with the Rock barrels. I'll have to research that also.

I looking for something that is more of a guarenteed thing/a barrel manufacturer that is not hit and miss because with my luck I will get the miss!

There is no guarantees in anything. I will say, whomever cuts the chamber, threads, and crowns has as much or more to do with the accuracy than just about anything else.

NOT saying I am worth a hoot, but I...ahem....cut the stub off of a factory Remington 223 varmint barrel...chambered it in 223 AI, threaded for Savage/Stevens small shank, and recrowned the barrel...and it shoots rather well for my buddy.

McKinneyMike
05-03-2010, 08:30 PM

Mike Rock is far from a fly by night barrel maker :) He and his barrels are as goods to go as any on the planet IMO. His reputation is all that he needs to sell barrels.

Senderofan
05-03-2010, 09:06 PM

I looking for something that is more of a guaranteed thing/a barrel manufacturer that is not hit and miss because with my luck I will get the miss!

I had my first experience with Mike Rock barrels while attending a long range shooting class. There were three guys there that had them on their .308's. All three rifles shot amazingly well...with different guys shooting each one ( the owners let some of us try them out.) Our instructor said the Mike Rock had an extensive contract to make barrels for Remington and our military....for our snipers. The instructor said he eventually lost the contract because of the volume of barrels needed. I would not shy away from a Rock Creek barrel. My latest barrels are a Bartlein 5C and a Krieger 5R barrel....the Krieger has yet to be chambered and threaded...but gross visual inspection looks good.

Good Luck...Planning the projects is half the fun!

Wayne

JCalhoun
05-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Stefan;

What's wrong with the factory barrel?

Are you going to be shooting competitons with the rifle?

I'm thinking the .308W in a 22 inch barrel will have some trouble at 1km.

hank440
05-13-2010, 05:37 PM
I have a stock 10 FCM scout rifle that I shot out to 1k with no problems at all on a half size IDPA steel target with match 175gr ammo :o Since you are building a tactical rifle and not shooting beyond 600 yards a 16-18" barrel will be quite sufficient. The 10 twist is best for 175gr or larger but either will work fine.

pd721el
05-14-2010, 12:09 AM
I agree with all that is said above. I think you may be better off looking to see what is in stock, and make you decision that way. I personally have a Shilen,Schnieder, Douglas, Broughton, Rock and Lothar Walther at this time. All shoot better then me. Decide whether you want cut or button rifling and a prefit or custom chambered then have at it. The last Rock I got showed up in 8 weeks and the told me 10-12. But wait times are long right now. I see that Hart have in stock listed on there web page now and that would be a good place to look. Good luck

BigDog
05-16-2010, 12:55 AM
I just got a Benchmark barrel for a 20 VarTarg. I got it in about 6 weeks for $325 with shipping. It was chambered and threaded for my Savage target action. I am just starting to work up some loads for it. It shot a .284 four shot group with a random break in load, in the first 10 shots. They were great to work with. I am very excited with this barrel.

pdog06
05-18-2010, 11:45 AM
I just got a Benchmark barrel for a 20 VarTarg. I got it in about 6 weeks for $325 with shipping. It was chambered and threaded for my Savage target action.

Nice price. When I priced one for my target action I was told $430.

McKinneyMike
05-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Way good price! They quoted me $385 for a button rifled 6BR barrel recently and $465 for a cut rifle barrel, same caliber and contour. I think that I need to call them again :)

Fjold
05-18-2010, 06:07 PM
I've had great barrels from Krieger for 20+ years, a couple of great Shilen's and I've got a Broughton on order right now in 6.5mm.

I agree with Pa Hog on "Broughton 5C/Kreiger/Lilja/" as some of the best ones not to get "miss" on.

If I was shooting a 308 to 1,000 yards I would have a minimum 26" barrel to make up for hot days. low altitude, heavy air days. A 22" tube can easily go subsonic at less than 1K in the wrong ambient conditions.

BigDog
05-28-2010, 02:20 AM
Sorry, my mistake on the price of the Benchmark barrel. It was $250 plus $20 shipping for just a barrel and $395 plus shipping for a chambered and threaded barrel for a Savage. I am happy with my barrel.

~Ace~
06-15-2010, 11:33 PM
The recent Snipers paradise 1400 yard shoot had a 1000 yard competition, it was Won by 2 Savages, both with Shilen barrels. TONS of BIG $ rigs on the line with 50+ shooters. @ 1400 yards, the same 2 savages were the Only hits Fri or Sat in the wind. ~Ace~

fatrack
06-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Heres one of the first 3 shot group at 100 yds out of my new Benchmark barrel in 338 ultra. $400 chambered and threaded for a standard shank Savage. I'm pretty happy with it.

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz306/whipple100/targets002.jpg