PDA

View Full Version : Anyone sell a new model 10/11 action that's not stainless?

Old Medic
01-29-2015, 08:47 AM
All of the new actions I find for sale seem to be stainless. Does anyone know of a seller who handles blued actions?

jpdown
01-29-2015, 01:17 PM
Jim at Northland Shooter Supply use to carry a few. I would give him a call.

Several years back it was cost effective to buy a Stevens 200 or Savage package rifle and sell the parts as new take offs keeping the action for a build. Today it is not as attractive and the donor action options are limited. If you've must have a new action, then I would look into buying a Savage 10 Trophy Hunter package rifle (around $575; Buds Gun Shop) with a hard-to-find 22" sporter contour barrel (.260, 6.5 Creedmore, 7mm-08). Sell the Nikon BDC package scope ($75-$110) and barrel ($90-$110) and hardwood CF stock ($80-$90) as new take-offs. That leaves you with a Savage action with Accutrigger, plastic BBR trigger guard and plastic DBM frame assembly (surround) and bottom cap with a net cost of $340). I recommend going with the Savage 10 TH over the Savage 11 TH because the plastic stock is almost impossible sell ($25-$30) these days and the DBM frame assembly is now molded into the stock. Add back in the cost of up grading to a metal BBR trigger guard ($26) and DBM bottom metal ($100) and the net cost of a new all metal black matte Savage action is now $470 or more plus the hassle of parting it out and selling the parts. This will give you a base line for cost comparison between new and used.

Since you are a paid member, finding a used black matte action in the classified section or looking for a used Savage at the local pawn shop is usually more cost effective. Since the demand and retail street price for new Savage rifles has increased dramatically over the last several years.

zap
01-29-2015, 01:26 PM
Grice guns in Clearfield Pennsylvania sells them i believe.

Robinhood
01-29-2015, 02:18 PM
I thought that is what people purchased the Hog Hunter for. Sell the stock and barrel and keep the action and magazine.

Hotolds442
01-29-2015, 02:32 PM
I thought that is what people purchased the Hog Hunter for. Sell the stock and barrel and keep the action and magazine.
This has repeatedly worked for me. Now if I can just let loose of my Hog Hunter barrels I'd actually realize the savings I'd anticipated.

Old Medic
01-30-2015, 08:19 AM
This has repeatedly worked for me. Now if I can just let loose of my Hog Hunter barrels I'd actually realize the savings I'd anticipated.

Yes, buying "X" new gun and selling the unwanted parts may make sense to a lot of people, but having owned and operated businesses with employees for years has left a "every minute is money" taste in my mouth. Dealing with writing ads, PM's, answering questions, packaging and shipping, etc. would eat up a whole bunch of my time. Besides, I see many, many of the same items on sale in the classifieds which are undoubtedly folks' attempts to unload said unwanted items. I don't see that option as all that attractive.
While I wanted the action to match the matte finish barrel I plan on getting, I'll more than likely end up purchasing a stainless action (unless a super deal can be found for used mod. 10 locally).
Thanks for the replies.

Old Medic
01-30-2015, 08:20 AM
Grice guns in Clearfield Pennsylvania sells them i believe.

Never heard of them. I'll definitely check that out. Thanks.