PDA

View Full Version : Help with New Choate Tactical Stock Fit in 111

YDKDY
01-28-2015, 10:50 PM
I’ve searched all over the site and can’t quite find an answer to my specific issue. My first Savage build: a 111 centerfeed blind mag accutrigger w/Criterion 6.5X55 26in barrel, NSS recoil lug and nut, and Choate tactical stock. Pretty standard stuff.

Stock arrived today and install went so-so. Rear action screw was too long but one provided with the stock was a bit shorter and works without interference once I put a washer between screw head and trigger guard. I’ve torqued the front action screw to 60 in lbs and the rear to about 30. Afraid to go much higher in the rear with plastic trigger guard. Tang is floating about 3mm or so above the stock.

Everything seems to be OK except when cycling the bolt I can feel just a tiny bit of drag where I think the bolt is skimming along the tops of the mag lips. Doesn’t really bind but you can feel it. Cartridges load and cycle OK. The mag box is seated well in the stock and the L bracket is hard against the rear aluminum pillar/bed block.

So what’s the best fix to get rid of the bolt/mag lips contact? Do I mess with the mag L bracket? File down the mag lips a bit? Something else?

Appreciate any advice.

ironworkerwill
01-29-2015, 10:41 AM
It has the fixed mag on the bottom of the receiver correct? I'm wanting to use the Choate stock also.

YDKDY
01-29-2015, 12:49 PM
No, my action is a centerfeed so the mag attaches to the stock. The mag fit in the stock was not a problem. Choate tactical stocks are available in staggerfeed as well though.

Hotolds442
01-29-2015, 02:36 PM
Pull your bolt out of the rifle and make sure there's no scoring on the bolt head from the front action bolt. Your front action bolt may be a little too long and that's what you're feeling as drag.

jonbearman
01-29-2015, 10:32 PM
If the mag is dragging you will have to remove the mag and inlet the stock slightly deeper. It isn't uncommon to have a stock that needs a few light mods as parts vary a little on non critical parts.

J.Baker
01-30-2015, 03:45 AM
Personally I would get some very thin plastic shim stock (nylon washers or similar) and put one on each action screw between the stock and action to see if 1) that eliminates the drag, and 2) the bolt will still pick up rounds from the magazine.

L1986
01-30-2015, 01:04 PM
I am working with the same setup as you are and the exact same issue as you. At first the drag I encountered was quite abit. What I did was sand the bottom of the mag with 400 grit sand paper. It did not take very much sanding at all, maybe a couple minutes. I would not sand the lips of the mag as that may create some issues with feeding and retaining the next round in the mag. I still need to do a bit more but found this an easier fix then trying to work with the stock inside the mag cutout.

YDKDY
01-30-2015, 03:03 PM
I am working with the same setup as you are and the exact same issue as you. At first the drag I encountered was quite abit. What I did was sand the bottom of the mag with 400 grit sand paper. It did not take very much sanding at all, maybe a couple minutes. I would not sand the lips of the mag as that may create some issues with feeding and retaining the next round in the mag. I still need to do a bit more but found this an easier fix then trying to work with the stock inside the mag cutout.

Thanks for the replies. L1986 do you mean sand the bottom of the mag well in the stock? How does that lower the mag if the L bracket is resting on the aluminum pillar?

Thanks for the tip Admin. I may try shims. I'd like to wait until I can get a metal trigger guard before I remove and reinstall the action again. Boyds shows them in stock but I'm wondering if they really are.

L1986
01-31-2015, 01:55 PM
Ydkdy, I sanded the bottom of the mag box and did not alter the stock but after rereading your original post stating your lclip was against the block I see that would not work for you. My clip had space between it and the v block but bottomed out in the stock. Sorry for the missunderstanding.

reynoldsfamily3
01-31-2015, 04:15 PM
I had issues recently with the front action screw being to long and causing drag. At first it totally bound the bolt. Ground down the bolt and it works great.