PDA

View Full Version : What caliber ?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

D.ID
02-03-2015, 09:54 AM
well ,wanted a 600 yard Elk caliber and didn't want to fire form my cases I just can't figure out where my thinking started to go hey wire. Well I guess I can look at it this way my next build will have these goals. Lol

LOL......I tried, lord knows I tried.
I'm sure once you use it you'll love it even for the 600 yard elk.

yobuck
02-03-2015, 10:48 AM
LOL......I tried, lord knows I tried.
I'm sure once you use it you'll love it even for the 600 yard elk.

Well someday you might get some aknowledgment for that.
You already got it from me. lol
But i have a question for you.
At what point or distance while hunting do you draw the line and why?

D.ID
02-03-2015, 08:55 PM
Generally speaking it's my equipment now days and always really has bean the limiting factor but terrain plays a part as well.
There was a time were it was 300 because I was guessing range.
Enter the range finder: limit moved to 7-800 pretty fast but occasional unaccounted for wind threw me farther than I was comfortable with for hunting elk or dear (coyotes/wolves fair game anyday).
Enter the edge: the occasional "sneaky wind" became a fairly insignificant effect and pushed out to the limit of my range finders pretty quick.
My range finders top out in the 12-1400 range depending on conditions and would cost at least double to upgrade (maybe 40% gain at 200-300% cost).
Along the way I of course learned the art of angle compensation and some other useful tidbits..........
Terrain,
These shots I referenced are mostly from ridge to ridge in my favorite honey hole or one like it, actually going across the full canyon would be 1+ miles.
Maybe some day..........not in the foreseeable future.
We are mighty proud of how far we've come but the next evolution is cost prohibitive for my purposes.

wyo85
02-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Fire-forming is done with the tried-and-true method of seating a bullet past the jam point, with good neck tension, so that the case would be held firmly against the bolt face upon initial firing. Is this a true statement and educate me on what a jam point is.

D.ID
02-03-2015, 09:12 PM

P.S. "if you were ever so inclined to come east to hunt long range"
Every body always says you can't back east......"It's impossible to see anything farther than 50 yards" you saying that aint so?

wyo85
02-07-2015, 03:59 PM
Well I just ordered a barrel from Apache Gun Works , man did I really stray from my original post. Ordered a 260 hopefully it will be a good paper puncher and maybe a deer/antelope gun too!!

yobuck
02-07-2015, 04:34 PM
P.S. "if you were ever so inclined to come east to hunt long range"
Every body always says you can't back east......"It's impossible to see anything farther than 50 yards" you saying that aint so?

If a picture is worth a 1000 words, i guess i could answer that best with some pictures.
BUT, i cant post pictures. I think i have all i need to do that except the ability to do it.
But then id probably have even more people pi---d off. lol